Record fuel prices & opinions

Post here if you have some suggestions on improving the forum.
pet-els

Re: Record fuel prices & opinions

Post by pet-els »

Coober Pedy: as at 19/08/2013

Shell Diesel $1.89 1st station coming into town
BP Diesel $1.67 2nd station in town
Mobil Diesel $1.71 3rd station in town
OME Diesel $1.70 Down a back street.

PeterH
PeterH
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

BruceS wrote:Yep, Thanks Chuck.
There is one on the Adelaide side of Keith that is card only & you have to do it all yourself. No body there to talk to you at all.
You put your card in & OK it for X amount of $$$ & then go start the pump. If you want more, you go OK an extra amount!
It's really for truckies I think.
I reckon if you OK'd it for $150 & then only put $100 in, it might only charge your card for that amount.
Sorry Bruce, it will deduct from your card exactly what you enter.
When we used one in a small outback town without a 'normal' petrol station, the machine asked for our credit limit, so we entered the several-thousand dollar figure.
NOTE: when the pump 'clicks off', that's ALL you get! (Our filler will take an extra 25~40 litres after first click-off - poorly designed!)
We then went to the (only) pub for dinner. "Card declined" - good thing we had the cash available!
Called the CU next morning to find the fuel-pump had taken ALL our credit, even though we only got about $125 in fuel. Transaction reversed, fortunately. I was able to quote from the receipt in my pocket... I'm anal about fuel figures too. :)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
graynomad

Post by graynomad »

Yikes, I've used them but they have always just asked for the amount I want not my limit (that's none of their business), so I dial in say $200 and if it only takes $178 that's all that gets charged. Also I can keep filling after the first click as it doesn't do the maths until the nozzle is replaced.

Leastways that's the ones I've used.

_____
Rob
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

It's bad enough having to pump your own petrol, witout having to operate the cash register as well. :x

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
generdawg

Post by generdawg »

Newcastle George wrote:It's bad enough having to pump your own petrol, witout having to operate the cash register as well. :x George
Actually I'd rather do both George. Most kids at the counter only have ten fingers and ten toes and I usually purchase more than that.

dawg
Experience is a wonderful thing. It helps you recognise a mistake when repeated.
Helen Grose

Post by Helen Grose »

I know this is a bit off subject but I remember when they used to run out fill for you wash windows fill radiator if needed where has that all gone.Oh I must be getting old :lol: :lol: :lol:
regards to all Helen the reformed boring one
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

In 61 - 63 my family had the Caltex roadhouse on the Melbourne side of Horsham.

Parents ran the food side of it whilst my elder brother & I handled the driveway & oil changes etc, & that's exactly what we'd do. If the customer asked us to 'fill 'er up mate' then we'd set the hose to auto - with the little trigger lock on the handle - & whilst that was filling we'd clean their windscreen, check their oil levels & tyre pressures for them. They loved it & we nearly always got a decent tip as well. :D $$$ :D

Long days... 18 hour days - 6am to midnight - & then the truckies started coming in for a feed & the odd bit of fuel so the old man would do Midday to 6am, Mother 6am to midnight with us 2... 7 days per week.

Bit hard to see your mates out having a good time then dropping in for a coffee late in the evening.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
generdawg

Post by generdawg »

Chuck wrote:Bit hard to see your mates out having a good time then dropping in for a coffee late in the evening.
Aw but Chuck, it's got you where you are today - a prominent successful caravan operator with a beautiful blond woman at yer side. :D

dawg (not to mention the odd winner photo meriting an award 8-))
Experience is a wonderful thing. It helps you recognise a mistake when repeated.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Chuck wrote:In 61 - 63 my family had the Caltex roadhouse on the Melbourne side of Horsham.

Parents ran the food side of it.
I think they are still selling the leftovers from your mum and dad. :D
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Dot

Post by Dot »

There are still places that still do all that forecourt service, I nearly collapsed while in NZ last yr, pulled in a service station in Albany (Nth shore Auck) and there she was as soon as we pulled in, filled the car, washed the windscreen and even asked if I wanted the oil water and tyres checked. :D :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.