Thought for Today

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Re: Thought for Today

Post by Greynomad »

Under British & Australian laws, yes. Although the details vary state to state.
Very broadly:
Anything you say which damages a person’s reputation or affects their livelihood puts you in deep legal doo-doo. That it happens to be true is no defence. And it doesn’t have to be widely published. Saying it to one person can see you in court.
The only way you can get away with such a statement is to be elected to a state or federal parliament, and say it in the parliamentary chamber.
If you put it in writing, it’s defamation.
Things are a bit looser in the US of A.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Watched "Made as hell" last night and some of the stuff on there may have run very close to the wind. There have been a number of statements by various people in news reports that would also have wandered either side of a defamation case.

I also remember a certain person/business accusing a certain book writer of plagiarism on another forum and that book writer making all sorts of threats, yet nothing happened.
Apparently the cost of pursuing a defamation case is very high for both sides and the looser pays all. If the looser does not have the money to cover the costs and/or the penalty imposed by the court, the winner could end up having to cover the costs anyway and end up in a worse financial position all round.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

That’s why Defamation law is the playground of the rich & famous...
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

After all is said and done, in most cases, a lot more is said than done, well accept for the person doing the signing for the hearing impaired at a press conference .....
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Irony ....... the opposite of wrinkly?

Why do some people see the comment "how stupid can you be" as a challenge?
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

T1 Terry wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:28 pm Irony ....... the opposite of wrinkly?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: it's a bit like the yellow speed advice signs on twisty bits or bad corners. It's an advice. Not a challenge.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

If God had wanted us to be vegetarians,
Why did He make all the animals out of meat?
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

supersparky wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:12 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: it's a bit like the yellow speed advice signs on twisty bits or bad corners. It's an advice. Not a challenge.
"tanks" here---Sparkey,
What about the signs on the side of the road warning you of black kids.
You would think that they would have to have some signs with white kids as well.
You see the signs in most towns near schools; CAUTION CHILDREN and a black kid painted in the centre of the sign. Perhaps all the white kids are in the school learning things like A, B, and C., while the black kids are roaming the streets and parks or shopping centres.
Is this racial predjuice.
Keith.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Keith Morris wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:59 am
supersparky wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:12 pm

"tanks" here---Sparkey,
What about the signs on the side of the road warning you of black kids.
You would think that they would have to have some signs with white kids as well.
You see the signs in most towns near schools; CAUTION CHILDREN and a black kid painted in the centre of the sign. Perhaps all the white kids are in the school learning things like A, B, and C., while the black kids are roaming the streets and parks or shopping centres.
Is this racial predjuice.
Keith.
Keith.
We will redirect all racial complains to you Keith, I always thought the diamond shaped "Black spot" sign was pushing things a bit too far but yours beats that hands down :roll:
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I used to in my much younger days treat them as a challenge... :lol:
Would go round at double the advice, then often go back and triple them, in a 64 Hillman Minx - yep, 25mph corners at 75mph. :roll:
I often wonder why I'm still alive.. :o
Not usually with passengers though - it scared the crap out of them..

I don't do it anymore though.. :(

Cheers,
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.