Thought for Today

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Peter

Re: Thought for Today

Post by Peter »

No protests about the 4 youths killed in a stolen car in Townsville today . Nothing about the poor fellow who had his car wrecked through no fault of his own. And the police superintendent who said we saw the car in Townsville earlier but did absolutely nothing ( a real Sgt Schultsz job ) I am just wondering why we have police who do nothing to protect the property of law abiding citizens. Would be far better not to have police and save on their wages. At the end of the day exactly same result. ?
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I think I've solved a riddle that had me bamboozled for yrs, the number of drinks the makers consider can be extracted from fortified wine and certain flavoured whisky varieties.
After consuming a some what tasteless "Egg Fried Rice" heat up in the microwave stuff, I decided to read the "nutrition information" on the packet (under the magnifying glass of course), to see if there was any, and realised there were two separate columns, one per 100g and a different listing per serving and this is where I made my discovery, I appear to be three people. The pack said 2 to 3 servings per pack and I was still hungry when I'd cleaned the bowl.
Using this new information to create a useable formula for deciphering the alcohol bottle labelling I discovered the mystery is now seemed to be solved .... I'm actually 3 people :idea: If I divide the number of drinks the manufacture claims by this factor of 3, Dublinar Honeycomb Whisky labelled as 16 standard drinks becomes 5 and splash standard drinks. Now I know that 1/5th of a bottle is a standard drink (700ml / 5 = 140ml) so it must include a generous amount of ice to already be in the glass to bring the level up.
I'll put his new found knowledge to the test over the week end to see if I've got it right, but the fact that there is only 425mltrs in a "Pint" in SA, yet I remember that as being a schooner, and a schooner over here comes in a one swallow glass, the formula does seem to hold up. They must use a nip glass if you ask for a midi and I doubt they could actually get any beer into their version of a 6 ounce glass .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Terry, sorry mate, you've missed the mark.

The original person who decided on the definition of a single serve was Wu San Cor Ona. He was a famous Chinese known for his Egg Fried Rice. It was so popular, he had to ration it to single serves. The same size as today.... just like the packet.

but the twist was, he also loved his Chinese malt whiskey made from fermented Egg Fried rice too. But, it was known to get the Wu San patrons very drunk. He learnt that it wasn't the type of alcohol, but the amount. So, he set the volume to a single serve also.

Now, the Chinese claim a lot of things as their own, history and tradition is the theme. Islands and technology comes to mind. But deep in Chinese lore, they claim alcohol too. And with in that, the single serve size. Which seems to have carried though with the years. But when one looks back, the Wu's single serve is actually 1/5 of a regular drink.

The debate continues among brewers. To sell in China, you must conform. So, the brewers have marked all their bottles to the Chinese single serve and not the true single serve size.

So, tonight, enjoy 16 or 5 single serves. In the end, you'll feel the same. Which, was different when Wu's customers had 5 single serves.

The off shoot of all of this was Coors light beer tried to compromise. 5 serves with a 1 Wu effect. They ended up with a beer in a can that tasted like p#$$. Interestingly, the yanks think it takes good with a hog dog with mustard.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

With you on that, T1!!
I was similarly confused when I moved from NSW to Adelaide to work in my youth. Asked for a pint & was served a middy. 😳
‘Portergaff’ also confused me. From memory (unreliable at best) I think that was champagne and lemonade? Or was it champers & OJ?
No port within cooee... (and a v loose definition of champagne: anything white with bubbles. :evil: )
Last edited by Greynomad on Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Their mustard only looks like mustard, doesn't taste like it.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Dot

Post by Dot »

Do NOT believe anything that Jd says, remember the Chinese painting he told me about? bast--- :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

oh yeah. Wu is his cousin. :lol:
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Dot wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:18 pm Do NOT believe anything that Jd says, remember the Chinese painting he told me about? bast--- :lol: :lol:
One day you may get over that Dot, or not..... :roll:
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Do you still have the valuable painting Dot?
Shirley & Bruce.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Nigel and the painting story starts here. I'd better say sorry in advance. (Sorry)

viewtopic.php?p=61734#p61734