Australian Trivia Only

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
BernieQ2

Re: Australian Trivia Only

Post by BernieQ2 »

Almost the same name as my Dad, Dave
Bernie.
Macca

Post by Macca »

Our Bert from Bundy?
Time is passing too quickly so live life to the full with your spouse/partner while you still have she/he by your side.
http://bkmcl.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/o ... m-24-2-13/#
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Not the bloke I had in mind Macca, Bernie is pretty close with the name but no takers on the place. It was in Victoria.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

The Duigan pusher? Built by the Duigan brothers on their farm near Mia Mai? Argument still rages as to whether Harry Houdini has the record for the first powered flight near Diggers Rest .... only know this stuff from pub talk at the Diggers Rest and we were only there because there was a weather delay at Calder Park dragway for the start of the summer nationals. I did have to Google to get the spelling correct, I was putting the "i" after the "a" instead of after the "u" No idea where Mai Mai is, Google maps says it's near Tullamarine airport and that is miles away from Diggers Rest and the pub locals seem to be saying the two flights occurred in roughly the same area. The argument seemed to centre around what was considered flight, many reckoned they'd flown further in a car over a bump than the Duigan Bros first flight .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

T1, correct. The Duigan bros built and flew their aircraft near Mia Mia which is a bit north of Kyneton. There is a propeller on a stone cairn near there now. Harry Houdini did fly a plane near Diggers Rest . Can't remember which one was first. But have look at the map, Diggers Rest, Tulla airport and Calder are all pretty close.
FYI, the Diggers Rest pub has been gone for a while now. Burnt down one night from memory.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:29 pm T1, correct. The Duigan bros built and flew their aircraft near Mia Mia which is a bit north of Kyneton. There is a propeller on a stone cairn near there now. Harry Houdini did fly a plane near Diggers Rest . Can't remember which one was first. But have look at the map, Diggers Rest, Tulla airport and Calder are all pretty close.
FYI, the Diggers Rest pub has been gone for a while now. Burnt down one night from memory.
It was back in a past life, mechanical workshop days, so pre '98 but more likely '95 or there abouts.
Diggers Rest and Calder are quite close, the airport isn't that far, but Kyneton is around 60km nth of Diggers rest .... a days travel back in 1910, but I guess in '95 that would be just up the road.

OK, where were the tractor pull finals held for many yrs and was considered to be the heart of tractor pulling for quiet some time .... maybe not so much these days

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Next to the grain silos at Colbinabbin Vic. Over the Australia day long weekend I think. I used to like watching the Quamby Quaker. That was back in the early 80's.
Should have mentioned that I used to live up Kyneton way not far from Mia Mia and drove to Melbourne every day, past the Houdini memorial and the Diggers Rest pub.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Or may be "wannachook"? (with a Q)
BruceS
Mannum, SA

supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Wherever it is Bruce, it has to be one of those regions that had plenty of broad acre farming, and good old boys with a bit of spare cash. Most of those motors costa motza. :D
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

There were quite a few areas that tried to jump on the bandwagon and make money out of tractor pulls.
Lucindale, SA ran one for a few years on the Field Days site.
Quambatook, Vic probably had the longest run that I know of.
Longford, Vic weren't far behind too.
I reckon there was another over in Gippsland & another over on the Eyre Peninsula?
BruceS
Mannum, SA