Avian Visitors

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Re: Avian Visitors

Post by Greynomad »

George,
The answer to shutter shake is to take the photos before you hit the whisky bottle... ;)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Finally!
Had my phone out when a pair from our resident family (6~8) of Blue Wrens lighted on the birdbath...
Wrens.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Ray, you have the same bird bath as we do. We put a few large river pebbles in ours, after we found one of the squakers flapping about in it, unable to get back out. There is a colony of blue wrens at the river park, where we often go for our morning walk.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

supersparky wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:48 am Ray, you have the same bird bath as we do. We put a few large river pebbles in ours, after we found one of the squakers flapping about in it, unable to get back out. There is a colony of blue wrens at the river park, where we often go for our morning walk.
"tanks" here---David,
I have the same bird baths as Ray posted.
I have 2 in the backyard; One on each side of the yard under a tree, and another in the front yard.
I recently placed "climber ramps" from the rim to the centre of the bowls for the smaller birds.
I notice that the birds take turns to have a drink. The smaller birds drink first, and then the larger birds have a go.
My bird baths only cost $38.00 each from Bunnings about 1 year ago and I consider it money well spent, especially now with the very hot days we are experiencing. The birds love to have a splash and a drink.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Our birdbath was a serendipitous accident.
Holes were dug to plant roses. Rained overnight.
Next morning we discovered the entire garden drains to one point: one of our rose holes.
Couldn’t plant one there so we ‘Hmmm-ed’ and ‘Harr-ed’ a bit, filled the hole, and went off to find a ‘something’ to fill the gap.
Best choice we’ve ever made! Attracted an incredible range of bird life — 45 breeds and still counting!
So we’ve bought a second one for the back yard...
It’s a tad deeper, so only the larger birds like it.
I put some large rocks in it, the size of a child’s football, but the birds wouldn’t bathe in it. They are much happier now I’ve removed the rocks.
No rocks in the front yard one. Even the Blue Wrens are happy to bathe in it as is.

We have also found both our resident Magpies and Blue Wrens like playing under our sprinkler hoses in warm weather.

Breakfast can take over an hour as we sit & watch the birds drinking & playing in the birdbaths. Sometimes we watch the front one, sometimes we move to the back of the house to watch the bigger birds at play. 😀
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
bob r

Post by bob r »

One of my afternoon visitor's waiting for a snack.
20201209_155703.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bob r

Post by bob r »

This little fella comes in twice a day for a feed.
20201210_070652.jpg
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

A juvenile Blue Wren visited our herb garden today...
EAD4F1B0-8CB2-4B2A-AA97-D37B5DC09CFF.jpeg
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Birdbath smorgasbord this morning:
Blue Wrens, Wattlebirds, a Magpie Lark (PeeWee), Starlings, Sparrows, Magpies and a Black-throated Honeyeater (similar to the Blue-faced Honeyeater, but a smaller blue eyepatch and — der — a black patch on its throat).
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

With all the rain and not much food on offer, we had a juvenile Butcherbird under the verandah looking for a hand out last week. We have some, but not all, that you mention as regular visitors at our place. And of course the bloody pigeons. Does anyone know of a way to get pigeons to flock off and not return. They are even having a chew on the grass seed that I put out on Friday.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.