Avian Visitors

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Newcastle George

Re: Avian Visitors

Post by Newcastle George »

This year's Rainbow Lorikeet chick still in it's hole

Click to enlarge
25.jpg

George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Normally we have just two lorikeets visit but on Friday nine flew in. Some out of shot.

Click to enlarge
100_6830 (Custom).JPG
George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

We have had an ongoing problem with sparrows building a nest in the centre of the roof piece near the roller door. I get the air hose on a length of pole and blow it out on a regular basis, unless we were away and they had laid eggs and mum was sitting on them, then we'd have to put up the the never ending racket of hungry chicks until a prod with the air hose (no air blowing at the time) would have mum and dad teaching the young one to fly the next day ..... then the nest was gone .....

This time, the cheeky shits built the nest a bit further back on the cross beam so I couldn't see it. Found two dead birds on the office floor after returning from a trip away, guess the heat killed them, so ignored looking for the nest.

Lately, we have a male (I'm guessing) calling for a mate to tell them he has a ready made nest, no crap or grass bits where mum had been sitting on eggs, so enough was enough, out with the air hose a blew the nest down .... it was a very well built nest, took quite a bit to clear it.

Hasn't sorted the stupid bird calling at all, it's worse now, we are getting called everything under the sun for wrecking the nest :roll: Now we take shots at it with a laser light, that lasts for maybe 1/2 hr and it's back :twisted:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Taken today.
IMG20220111120154.jpg
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

What sort of bird is it Bernie? None down here like that that I've seen.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Locally called Happy Jacks Bruce
Members of the Apostle group of birds It must have facial recognition as it will come to me when talking to next door.
he/she are feeding young at the moment. its the only one that comes for a hand out.
Bernie.
bob r

Post by bob r »

This is a baby gray butcher bird comes in for a feed.
IMG20211220172712.jpg
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Just goes to show?
I always thought everything in Qld either ate you, killed you, infected you, paralyzed you or poked your eyes out!!!
Seems like it's not so bad after all.
A bit worried about those legs tho!!
Dot will be getting all 'hot'!! ;) :lol:
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

bob r wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:28 am This is a baby gray butcher bird comes in for a feed. IMG20211220172712.jpg
Do Butcher birds have a very loud call that ends in a raised note, sort of like a whip crack?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

That might be whip bird Terry, a butcher sings a bit of a melody, similar but not the same as a magpie.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.