What a Way to Run an Election!

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

What a Way to Run an Election!

Post by Greynomad »

We live in the Victorian electorate of Benambra, which, a week after Polling Day, is still on a knife-edge, too close to call.
On 3rd November, the day applications opened for postal voting forms, we posted off two signed, witnessed forms, as we were leaving for SA on 15th November, and would be nowhere near the Absentee Voting Centre in Adelaide on Election Day, 24th November.
November 15th arrived, but the postal vote ballot papers hadn’t. So we left.
On FRIDAY EVENING 23rd NOVEMBER, we received a phone call from the Victorian Electoral Commission to advise they had just found our applications, and could not get ballot papers to us before voting closed the next day!!! 🤬
We still have not seen any ballot papers.
With the closeness of the voting in Benambra, our two votes COULD make a difference!
NOT HAPPY, JAN!!!!!!!! :evil:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: What a Way to Run an Election!

Post by T1 Terry »

If it doesn't go the way you want then demand the findings null and void because of a failing by the electoral commission to get postal vote papers out to you on time. You will get ignored of course, but at least you can have a rant at them :lol:
Isn't there an automatic recount if the winning majority is not clear cut and a hand count if it is really close? I think they have to do the whole thing over again if the count is still close because of the percentage allowed for counting errors would result in more than one possible winner.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

The electorate covers some 70000 people, according to the sensis.
A close vote might be worth a challenge, as T1 said.
The actual town would only comprise of a dozen hardy souls, surely, most of whom I seem to blurrily recall after a friday night.
The basketball team and the footy team were all celebrating. A fellow took joyflights down the mainstreet in the morning.
Oh my head :cry:
Are you far from town?
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Rutherglen has a population of about 2300.
We’re about 650m from the PO, and we’re on the edge of town!
The electorate covers Wodonga to Rutherglen and south to Benalla.
The Liberal candidate received about 55~60% of first preferences.
Somehow I don’t think objecting over the absence of two votes will cut much mustard.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Received an email from the Liberal winner today.
Or his electorate officer, anyway.
Said they have written to the Vic Electoral Commissioner asking him to apologise to us & not to institute prosecution for not voting.
Sympathised with our indignation & agreed that two votes could have been important in such a close result. :P
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields