Canadian press comments on Electric Powered vehicles...

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Re: Canadian press comments on Electric Powered vehicles...

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
By my calculations, had we been in one of those electric buses, our 3-year tour of Oz would have taken about 10+ years.... IF there were charging stations in places like Uluru and the Bungle Bungles! :roll:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Bow

Post by Bow »

Most remote communities use diesel generators to drive the communities power grid.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:09 pm T1,
By my calculations, had we been in one of those electric buses, our 3-year tour of Oz would have taken about 10+ years.... IF there were charging stations in places like Uluru and the Bungle Bungles! :roll:
Every caravan park is a charging station if they offer powered sites. Most CP's these days only offer powered sites so you don't get an option. I know many hate caravan parks and I don't blame them, I'm not terribly keen on them myself. They do provide that back up recharge, a place to dump waste, top up water, do the washing even if it is your own machine and have that long shower you can't have when traveling. The 15 amp power point will supply 3300wh x the number of hrs you are plugged in, a 24hr stop will put just short of 80kWh back into the battery, add the solar @ 3kW x 5 hrs and in a 24hr stop over you have added at least 250kms range to the battery pack. Add to that, all the time you are driving, as long as the sun is shining, there is another 15kWh going into the battery every day.
Probably not ideal for those in a rush, but certainly food for thought for those who live full time in their motorhome where they aren't in a made hurry to get from place to place. I guess you could also add a diesel turbine driving a genset if you had range anxiety, that is how the Tesla electric prime movers will be recharged as the drive, a lot more fuel efficient than a piston motor, in excess of 70% fuel efficient compared to around 30% for a diesel piston engine attempting to develop the same amount of power.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Bow wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:08 am Most remote communities use diesel generators to drive the communities power grid.
That is gradually changing as the diesel gen sets reach the end of their service life. Many are looking at changing to solar/wind/battery with the diesel genset as a back up plan. Some are even going geothermal combined with solar thermal, I believe the Olympic Dam project is looking into or may have even committed to upgrading their power generation to this method. It appears Whyalla will be wind/solar/battery powered in the near future, but then the South Australia grid is anyway.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

PeterH
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

How about one of these for towing the van or 5th wheeler, the ute version starts somewhere around the 11:30 mark. The bloke doing the spiel does say they plan to build them for right hand drive as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMfxJEf ... e=youtu.be
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

I want one.

PeterH
PeterH
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

pet-els wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:02 am I want one.

PeterH
No more needing 2 OKA's to tow you out at Taggerty ;) :lol: If you make any enquiries about buying one I'd love to be in the loop as to what they say. Maybe we could become a distributer 8-) :roll:

T1 Terry
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

By the time I got one It would have to be a hearse. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PeterH
PeterH
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

pet-els wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:24 pm By the time I got one It would have to be a hearse. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PeterH
I'd look after it for you Peter, drive you around in it sort of like "A weekend at Bernies" :lol: