Not on Gas

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
jon_d

Re: Not on Gas

Post by jon_d »

We have a single induction hot plate cooker thingy that is simply put on a table outside and plugged into an external outlet.

Best thing next to the weber on a slide-out.
Peter and Sandra

Post by Peter and Sandra »

We put a cheap ebay $300 4 "burner" induction cooktop in our new kitchen a couple of years ago, it is pretty much instantaneous heat when turned on and is able to have power and temperature levels set for each "burner" position. It is so quick we have ditched the electric jug and use a kettle on the induction as it is quicker and uses less power. Cleanup is simply a case of wiping it down, no nooks and crannies to get stuff stuck in just a flat sheet of glass.
The cook won't go back to either normal electric or gas.
We have a portable single induction cooktop for outside use in the Oka and if the diesel cooktop ever plays up we'll fit a twin induction unit.
We don't have gas at all, hot water and heating are both diesel powered.
Oka 4WD camper/motorhome, 1100w solar, 400ah lithium, diesel heating, HWS and cooking
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Thanks, I already have electric hot plates but the surrounds & controls have rusted with the salt air, I definitely would prefer gas but would have to use LPG no natural gas in this area, so was thinking just to replace with electric glass hotplates with no surrounds & touch controls, the set up that I have works ok but looks crappy.👎👎
Shirley & Bruce.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Greynomad wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:02 am
T1 Terry wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:11 pm Is that a 3 "burner" stove top Ray? Does it need special wiring or is it plug in? Does it actually have proper heat control or only the on/off set up that the $50 jobs have?
We want to redo the inside of the Hino and an induction cooktop is high on the list of upgrades as we run all electric now (no gas connected) but use one of those butane can stoves outside for boiling up a pot of vegies or the frying pan, everything else goes in the air fryer so an over is no longer required.

T1 Terry
T1,
It's the 4-plate AEG induction, top wired in when we updated the kitchen. Two plates can be combined for a big pan.
Digital cotrols all round, and a 'pause' button when you receive a phone call etc...
Hi Terry, we have been induction hotplate users for over 20 years. When we downsized to Glenelg 3 years ago we replaced the 60cmx60cm gas stove with a same size Induction from Aldi. (The current Aldi stove is not an induction but they do have them out once a year for about $300.) No problems. It does ask for a 32A fuse - that assumes you might use all 4 burners on high at the same time. We also carry a single plate induction in the motorhome.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Shirley wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:10 pm Thanks, I already have electric hot plates but the surrounds & controls have rusted with the salt air, I definitely would prefer gas but would have to use LPG no natural gas in this area, so was thinking just to replace with electric glass hotplates with no surrounds & touch controls, the set up that I have works ok but looks crappy.👎👎
Shirley,
If you enlarge the photo you’ll see the touch controls on our AEG induction cooktop. The cooking surface is one sheet of glass with controls at the front. Very easy to clean and no crevices or metal to rust. 😁
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Thanks Ray, would be perfect replacement, I have already had the hot plate metal surround replaced a few years ago & now the control panel & the surround is rusting.
Shirley & Bruce.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Just a note of caution, Shirley,
SWMBO had a set of four Esteele copper-bottomed s/steel saucepans given as a 21st present... (and still in excellent condition — 40-&-some-more years later — son-and-heir has inherited them for his gas cooker :( )
When we chose the induction cooktop, we had to buy a replacement set of RACO saucepans, as copper is not a ferric metal and thus is unaffected by the induction current which heats the pans. We already had some large (steel) pans which were OK on induction.

:shock: Just pondering on the longevity of the Esteeles... and realised it's more than half a century since I had my 21st party. :o
But I'm not telling how old SWMBO is... :P ;) Just that she's not there yet. :oops:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Yes, convinced now, once we do the full refit on the Hino it will have an induction stove top installed. The 1620w of solar on the Hino roof has proved to us that we can power anything that we have enough inverter power to operate. We plan to upgraded the battery capacity at the same time and use these rather aged and tortured batteries as part of our house off grid system. We need to use different dimension cells so we can't just add onto the 8 yr old cells that are in there now.
The freedom of having no gas at all in the Hino yet still be able to do everything we want from free energy has been a real eye opener for even us heavy power users, returning to fully charged in the rain at Taggerty was the final test and it passed with power to spare.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/healthy-ch ... gLAZ_D_BwE

What does this sorta thing look like you learned folk 2000 w :o

Thats the Terrence T1 inverter size I got last time, start blowin fuses or what...???

vik... :? :? :?
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Vik,
As a single cooker, it looks OK. I have never had a dud product from Kogan, and I've bought a few.
$45 seems a reasonable price, given what we paid for our 600mm three-burner with all the bells & whistles!
(Yes, I know. Earlier I said ours was a 4-burner... Checked t'other day. It's three. :oops: :roll: )

I'd buy the Kogan unit if I were in the market for portable cooking again. (Got two travelling gas BBQs already!)

Just make sure your inverter is 2000W or more (and don't use any other electrics when cooking), or use it only when hooked up to shore power.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields