Breeding season approaches

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Breeding season approaches

Post by Greynomad »

Looks like we’re in for an increase in our Magpie family.
Maggie is stealing coconut fibre from our hanging plants...
7306F1EF-11BF-46FA-8159-87FAED7D75B6.jpeg
🙄
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Breeding season approaches

Post by BruceS »

Yep. We have 3 plover nests around the marina & early morning walkers are using umbrellas for protection.
The closest one to us must be due out very soon I think.
She has 4 eggs & I can't believe how big they are. Almost chook size!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Our visiting mamma bird has returned to her nest in the artificial plant basket hanging in the front porch area. Margaret has had to relocate to the other side of the verandah again for her cancers sticks and book reading/card playing so the bird doesn't freak out as much. An incredibly loud call for her mate when she needs a break from egg sitting, a great bush tune type call, but very loud.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
bob r

Post by bob r »

Our local Maggie is collecting nesting materials so i guess we are in for an increase too.

Bob
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Some of you will remember a place just out of Morgan that has a lot of wild life around.
Yesterday Mother & Chick turned up for the first time. Unusual to only have one but others may hatch out in the next few days.
emubub.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Bruce,
Are you sure it’s not FATHER & chick?
In emu families it’s the male which tends the nest & raises the chicks.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Yes you are probably right Ray. I'll see what that one's name is....
BruceS
Mannum, SA

BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

You are right I guess?
It is the big male that was with the chick in the photo.
He is very quiet and will let Kerry pat (pet?) him. (no name for wild ones.... only for hand reared orphans)
He was back this morning but no sign of the chick. (blown away in the wind?) :lol: :lol:
BruceS
Mannum, SA

RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Surprised anything is still standing let alone a new born chick. Heavy gust allday.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

The swallows that have nested in our carport were having real difficulties yesterday in the strong winds. Reasonably claim under the carport with the house on one side and the teenage retreat behind. Once they left the shelter of the carport the zigzag flight path usually employed changed to a bullet like acceleration straight down the drive and out toward the river, often facing sideways :lol: Trying to return was even funnier to watch, ended up with a flight path across the front of the house, very close in, then a sudden 90* turn into the carport and emergency air brakes applied so they didn't slam into the kombi back window that shares the carport with them.
Mamma bird in the patio basket nest became a lot more tolerant of us wandering in and out rather than belting out the second we opened the sliding door. The preliminary stop at the handrail travelling out or back in was missed due to safety concerns and the return flight into the patio area involved so rather dramatic stunt flying to avoid us, the glass sliding door and window and knocking the nest basket off the hook. After a few of those terror trips mamma bird decided she'd risk life staying on the nest rather than being splattered into a window or the side of the house.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO