Ready to Give Up

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Newcastle George

Re: Ready to Give Up

Post by Newcastle George »

From ABC news:
"John Richards has dedicated his life to stamping out the misuse of apostrophes. But at the age of 96, he's now calling it a day, admitting that it's all become a bit too much".

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Just to add to that George .............
SA has decided to remove all (or most?) apostrophes from all place names.
Like Bob's Landing
Haebel's Landing
Male's Rd
Smith's Lane
etc etc

QUOTE:
Possessive nouns

As a geographical feature is not owned by the person after whom it is named, the use of the possessive 's' is discouraged. Where a previously recorded place name has a possessive 's', the following criteria apply:

in all cases the apostrophe is to be deleted.
the 's' may be retained in the following instances:
where there is any possibility that the 's' is an indication of the plural - eg Blackfellows Cave
where there is any possibility that the 's' is part of the name - eg Jacobs Creek
where the removal of the 's' could indicate a different source of the name - eg Browns Hill if altered to Brown Hill could give the impression that it was named after the colour rather than a person named Brown
where a feature has been named because of similarity or connection with a mythological, legendary or real person or place - eg Aladdins Cave, The Devils Elbow, The Dutchmans Stern, Hawks Nest
where removal of the 's' would affect the sound of the name - eg Malcolms Barossa Mine
for pastoral properties where the name is recorded on official documents.

ENDQUOTE
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Swisslulu

Post by Swisslulu »

Newcastle George wrote:From ABC news:
"John Richards has dedicated his life to stamping out the misuse of apostrophes. But at the age of 96, he is now calling it a day, admitting that it has all become a bit too much".

George
Am I missing something, George? I don’t see any misuse in the original quote.
Cheers
Lesley
Our Blog: http://lesleyanderich.wordpress.com
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Lesley,

There was no misuse, I was simply quoting from the news item which was under the heading, "'Ignorance has won': Apostrophe Protection Society closes its doors".

Here is the link

[EDIT] Apparently the removal of the apostophe has come about due to the increased use of mobile phones when texting.

George
Last edited by Newcastle George on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Swisslulu

Post by Swisslulu »

Ah, gotcha. No apostrophes here. Sleep well Rayl
Cheers
Lesley
Our Blog: http://lesleyanderich.wordpress.com
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
If your sentences are separated by a coma, it must take you a long time to write your posts! 😜

I use a comma, but not to separate sentences.

BTW, I have noticed many posts using “had of”, “should of”, “could of” etc. The verbal shortening of these combinations to “should’ve” is a shortening of “should have” etc.

Also, “enormity” is not the noun form of “enormous”. It means ‘grossly bad things’. Correct usage is “The enormity of his crime was reflected in his prison sentence” etc.

Got it, people? 👍
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

It's impossible you read any news paper or site in this day and age and expect no spelling grammar or punctuation mistakes, some are pretty hilarious and many sentences and articles don't make sense. Once they had proof readers, now they have auto spell check and nothing else.

I had very little education after 8 and yet can still make a reasonably readable effort at writing, I think.

To me it represents the end of an era, when you consider many young people now have no skills, no experiences outside a phone struck on their faces, or video and teachers today are a waste of space having spent their entire lives in a school room with no outside experience in life. Teachers used to be experienced people who had worked in every day life and then passed their skills on, the only skills most teachers today have, is insane Political Correctness and complaining. When you add the amount of automation and dying trades, no wonder the written word is collapsing and no different to most of our modern society, on the way out.

This makes for a perfect formula for collapse, especially when you add climate change, economic insanity and ideological denial of the planets reality. Most of us won't be around to see the results of this change, hopefully it will be for the better and we will see a return to decent language expression in the written word.

Edited for grammatic and spelling mistakes :roll:
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:21 am T1,
If your sentences are separated by a coma, it must take you a long time to write your posts! 😜

I use a comma, but not to separate sentences.

BTW, I have noticed many posts using “had of”, “should of”, “could of” etc. The verbal shortening of these combinations to “should’ve” is a shortening of “should have” etc.

Also, “enormity” is not the noun form of “enormous”. It means ‘grossly bad things’. Correct usage is “The enormity of his crime was reflected in his prison sentence” etc.

Got it, people? 👍
Better than separating the sentence with a Commer :lol: Is there a definition of how long the period of inactivity must be before it is considered a coma? Instead of micro-sleeps I could suffer from micro-comas while determining how the next bit should be worded :?
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

"John Richards has dedicated his life to stamping out the misuse of apostrophes. But at the age of 96, he's now calling it a day, admitting that it's all become a bit too much".
oh the ABC.....

"John Richards's dedicated his life to stamping out the misuse of apostrophes. But at the age of 96, he's now calling it a day, admitting that it's all become a bit too much".

"John Richards' dedicated his life to stamping out the misuse of apostrophes. But at the age of 96, he's now calling it a day, admitting that it's all become a bit too much".

Man, so many variation's. I s'hould get a job as a uni student ghost writer.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
My first car was a micro-Commer: a BMC Mini panelvan. 😝🙄
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields