Phone app

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Busman

Re: Phone app

Post by Busman »

I've asked before George, nothing.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Toolman

Post by Toolman »

I have been to China recently and have lived in the US and l can tell you that l am more afraid of the USA :(
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Newcastle George wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:17 pm So, what are you going to do about it apart from renewing your rant whenever you get bored?

George
Just passing time George, as I said a conspiracy theory and theories are not fact or inevitable. Gives one something to think about and watch how things actually turn out, which they rarely do as we may think, or the circumstances show they may. There are no answers, just more questions in life, I just like to look at alternatives for a break from the norm way of thinking and it's always interesting. The whole show means nothing to me really, politics and ideologies seem ridiculous to me. I try to live my life as responsibly as possible and have a good enjoyable time, so far it's working, no health problems and just this boring virus cramping our style.

Went to Hobart yesterday, almost back to normal, most shops open and in Sorell restaurants are open. No one seems worried, not much social distancing but people are keeping apart a bit and most shops have hand sanitiser. Everyone I talked to hasn't downloaded the app and feel it's a con job that can't be trusted, so not the only one who has doubts about it, or our governments intentions.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Before anyone rambles on and on about "China is buying us out lock stock and barrel" here's a clue.

Google it and find out if they are.

Here's just one example of overall foreign investment in Australia by volume.

https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/resources ... -australia

Begs the question. Why isn't anybody concerned about Luxembourg? Its seems there's a lot of people getting all bent out of shape about the amount of money coming into the country from China but not one single word about Luxembourg.

The REALLY big concern is the USA. Not one word about them. even as GMH accepts a multi-million dollar boost from the federal government to ensure they remain manufacturing here for the next 10 years. Result? Three years later they take their millions of Australian dollars and take everything back home.
Not one word of complaint.

Oh but China? Evil! Communist! Blah blah blah.

End of my rant

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Not trusting China or the USA or Russia or Japan or Nth Korea or ... can't remember the other attempted hackers origin, but basically none of them can be trusted 100%, but it has always been that way. The only difference now is we don't have the secret agents so much as we have internet hackers who don't even need to dress up and try to look the part. No one has made a program that back tracks the connection the moment it is made and trashes the computer at the other end or links in and drains any information they have stored at their end.
It's risky enough that the gathered information could be accessed by data miners looking for information that can be sold to the highest bidder, the real worry is opening a door to you mobile device via this app for a hacker to collect what ever information is on your phone. If you use your phone for internet banking, what's to say a hacker back dooring your phone via this app couldn't collect all the data required to tap into your life savings?

As I said before, let's see just how good this app works at sorting through the contacts list of someone who is found to be Covid positive and just how effective it is at stopping a second wave compared to not having the app and following the now accepted social distancing laws and other hygiene recommendations.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Busman

Post by Busman »

I don't think the social distancing laws are "now accepted". Or more correctly, with this slight lessening of the restrictions people seem to have forgotten all about them. That is what is going to be responsible for the second wave in my opinion. Perhaps a better idea would have been to lock step higher penalties each time the reins are slackened a bit more ?

At least we have much better supplies and hospital capacity if we do get a second wave.

If we do, I can only see that the restrictions will have to be harder the second time around, with eradication instead of suppression the end game.

Why has the focus now shifted from being scared of the government knowing where you are to hackers stealing your money ?
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Busman wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:26 pm I don't think the social distancing laws are "now accepted". Or more correctly, with this slight lessening of the restrictions people seem to have forgotten all about them. That is what is going to be responsible for the second wave in my opinion. Perhaps a better idea would have been to lock step higher penalties each time the reins are slackened a bit more ?

At least we have much better supplies and hospital capacity if we do get a second wave.

If we do, I can only see that the restrictions will have to be harder the second time around, with eradication instead of suppression the end game.

Why has the focus now shifted from being scared of the government knowing where you are to hackers stealing your money ?
The focus is still around a very quickly slapped together app that does not have the security they claim, about all they offer is "It's protected by law" The problem comes about by not everyone being scared off by the force of the law, if they are outside the Australian borders then the law isn't worth the bits it was written with (it wouldn't have made onto the paper stage yet). It is up to the individual to determine if the advantages out weigh the risks, it's a bit one sided just providing the benefits without acknowledging the associated risks. Trying to put up a smoke screen about the doomsday and big brother conspiracy theorists protesting about 5G and the vaccines are mind control drugs or what ever in an attempt to down play the genuine risks is not a new tactic, those against green energy with their health complaints and bird deaths from wind turbines etc have been about for a long time.
I remember a carton in one of the big newspapers with two cave women talking, "We didn't have all this thunder and rain before they started messing around with bows and arrows"

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Busman

Post by Busman »

300,000 dead and rising, I think the advantages outweigh the risks, all my naughty stuff is long past and I would prefer to go more naturally than trying to gasp for a bit of air in a ventilator, I ain't got nothing to hide. And I am not dumb enough to use my phone for banking.

So not much else on there for them to use. Oh, I do use it for talking to people, thought that was what a phone was for ?
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

T1 Terry wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:07 pm Not trusting China or the USA or Russia or Japan or Nth Korea or ... can't remember the other attempted hackers origin, but basically none of them can be trusted 100%, but it has always been that way. The only difference now is we don't have the secret agents so much as we have internet hackers who don't even need to dress up and try to look the part. No one has made a program that back tracks the connection the moment it is made and trashes the computer at the other end or links in and drains any information they have stored at their end.
It's risky enough that the gathered information could be accessed by data miners looking for information that can be sold to the highest bidder, the real worry is opening a door to you mobile device via this app for a hacker to collect what ever information is on your phone. If you use your phone for internet banking, what's to say a hacker back dooring your phone via this app couldn't collect all the data required to tap into your life savings?

As I said before, let's see just how good this app works at sorting through the contacts list of someone who is found to be Covid positive and just how effective it is at stopping a second wave compared to not having the app and following the now accepted social distancing laws and other hygiene recommendations.
Terry, you are right about not trusting anyone. Every country we've been associated with in intelligence, military economics and agreements have conned us and at times treated us like shit.

But this quote of yours, is a bit off the mark.
No one has made a program that back tracks the connection the moment it is made and trashes the computer at the other end or links in and drains any information they have stored at their end.
In the real world of computing with the right tools, you can penetrate any unprotected system and enter a linux system up to the desktop, but not the backroom where all your data is stored. In the microsoft/apple google world all your data is stored as an open book, for anyone to take, alter, or delete and leave no tracer path too follow. There are many systems capable of doing that, here's a link to a couple. There's a very different computing world out there, that's so far advanced, it now powers the world of computing.

https://itsfoss.com/linux-hacking-penetration-testing/
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Busman wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:19 pm 300,000 dead and rising, I think the advantages outweigh the risks, all my naughty stuff is long past and I would prefer to go more naturally than trying to gasp for a bit of air in a ventilator, I ain't got nothing to hide. And I am not dumb enough to use my phone for banking.

So not much else on there for them to use. Oh, I do use it for talking to people, thought that was what a phone was for ?
You might be smart enough not to do banking via your phone, but you would be in the minority.

T1 Terry