Problem-solving

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Problem-solving

Post by Greynomad »

Reporter on ABC NEWS24 tonight:
“They want a committee formed to problem-solve the issue.”

When I was working, the word was ‘resolve’.

I think the reporter needs to English-learn.
At the very least, she needs to dictionary-read.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Coolabah1au

Re: Problem-solving

Post by Coolabah1au »

Yes new yappe language for the hippy’s [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Somewhere along the way the English language has evolved and the previously unacceptable has become the new normal. Is it because we rely so much on electronic devices to assist us in our day to day living.
I wouldn't mind so much , if the work experience kid could caption all the news bulletins correctly. Maybe they don't know how to use spell check. Or is that spellcheck?
At least the reporters all seem pleasant and appear nicely dressed, perhaps that will be the next standard to fall.
Or is it that I am just becoming more and more cynical?
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

The one that always gets to me is, "I'll text you."

No, you'll send me a text. 'Text' is a noun, not a verb.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Language is always evolving, a look at history shows how grammatically the English and other languages have changed over the centuries and Aus English has contributed to the change as has other users of the language. In 100 years time, our English will be classed as primitive. So I don't see a problem with how people phrase their language anymore, why should it matter if it can be understood, that's the reason for language, understanding and not perfection. But I'm biased as I grew up without a formal education and with people who talked strine and slang, which did nothing to help my grammar. In our universe, perfection is the art of change and the only true constant in existence, why should it be different for language

It was only when I got into the norm world of elitism that I realised I needed to know how to be better at spelling and grammar to be accepted by those around me, another steep learning curve in life. Now I wonder why I went through all that hassle, as today, they can't even spell in the news and Ph language is sometimes beyond me. Which to me. seems like going full circle back to where I started. :?

Edited for spelling and grammar, 3 times, sorry 5 times :lol: :oops:
Last edited by native pepper on Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Just because some people can't be bothered using correct grammar or spelling doesn't mean it should be accepted as the norm.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Coolabah1au

Post by Coolabah1au »

How yar goin mate gunna be [emoji91]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

NP,
Does that mean I have to accept sloppy usage in how I English-speak??
:? :lol:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Whatever turns you on Ray, I was just pointing out some facts surrounding language as an interest point. Which is probably the wrong way to stay that, the grammar checker I use I ignore sometimes because it doesn't sound right to me, especially when it says I should put commas after "and' which in my recollection, was told not to do. It's like yanks using Z instead of S, who's right, I stick to S whilst I note lots now use Z. Which could be seen as another abomination of the English language by the yanks' :shock: 8-)
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

“They want a committee formed to problem-solve the issue.”
Using an oxymoron is always going to cause confusion. If a problem needs to be solved, don't get a committee involved, the problem will just be referred to another sub committee and they will not come up with a definitive answer .... the original committee can claim their hands are tied until they get a clear reply from the sub committee, and so it goes on. Basic plausible deniability https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plausible_deniability that sticky substance that all upper level management both in the private and public sector use and oils the political system to allow an easy escape from being held responsible.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO