Problem-solving

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Re: Problem-solving

Post by Greynomad »

“Any problem, if sufficient committee meetings are held, can be made insoluble.”
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

It sounds like both Ray and T1 have worked for local government in the past. That is exactly how management defer an issue that they don't want time spend any money on. The people on said sub committee are already going to get paid for doing not very much, so it doesnt matter. It used to piss off a few of the professional meeting attenders when I would turn up at some meetings with a sheaf of buzz work bingo handouts. My local council even made up a few of their own words, and a multitude of 3 letter acronyms.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

When I did the Workplace Training and Assessment course, the first training session we had to do was a hands on participation type course where a learning outcome of more than 70% was required. One member did "work place meeting bingo" and asked for any additional words that could be added. "Helicopter view" was one I remember but the use of acronyms was worth a special reward with a wild card square in each line numbered from line 1 down the page, multiple acronyms resulted in a lot of lines with their wild card marked off. Everyone doing their presentation after that suffered the Bingo sheet being marked and every lesion the trainer provided suffered the same :lol: Someone jumping up in the middle of a presentation or lesson with the hands in the air shouting "Bingo" through a whole new twist into keeping the session under control and getting your 70% learning outcome achieved.
By the end of the training course part where we had to set out an 8 hr training package and deliver 1hr of it to the group, there were very few buzz words and virtually no acronyms :D We learnt so much more from that particular group about how to keep the groups attention and how to prepare the hand out sheets to utilise the Bingo into the training :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Don't you have to solve the problem before it can be resolved?
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:49 pm Don't you have to solve the problem before it can be resolved?
You must have worked with a govt dept or a business that has high level management before Jon?
Resolved means it is no long a management problem, solved is what the worker on the shop floor does rather than getting management involved ..... unless they really don't want the problem solved because it will involved a lot more work .... then you pass the problem up to management level and you can rest easy because you know the problem will be resolved rather than solved ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
bobk

Post by bobk »

One of my pet hates is for news readers to state that 'the victim was gunned down'. I would prefer 'shot dead', or 'shot and killed'. In a motor vehicle accident, is the eg. bicycle rider 'trucked over'.
bobk
Bob and Lyn aka Mr & Mrs K.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

My favourite is the report on TV which explained that a woman died after being fatally shot.
And the innumerable times on regional TV news where a fatal accident resulted in three (pick any number) deaths.
How many times can people die?
I did hear (2nd hand) that one reporter claimed a man shot his wife after fatally shooting himself. 😳
Neat trick!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

ov course you can all die dead or some other description Most have been to have passed away twice :(
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

And then the farmer who lost 3000 pigs in a flood. As reported.

No,no,no... that was 3 sows and a pig as later corrected.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

That would be three sows and a boar wouldn't it Jon?? :shock: :roll: :D
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.