Qld Border Closure - RELAX EVERYONE!!

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
supersparky

Re: Qld Border Closure - RELAX EVERYONE!!

Post by supersparky »

NP, we went to a woollen mill near Launceston when were in Tas earlier this year. It was great to see that we still made something. Its a shame that we don't make steel or cars or........anymore.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

We visited that mill 40 years ago. Bought myself a jumper.
Still wearing it! 😀

... but I can’t drive 10km to buy a pizza. 🙄
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

supersparky wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:17 pm NP, we went to a woollen mill near Launceston when were in Tas earlier this year. It was great to see that we still made something. Its a shame that we don't make steel or cars or........anymore.
It is great to see decent products being made in Tas/Aus, there are many furniture makers down here and they make some really cool stuff. We can thank our forward-thinking politicians from all parties for the demise or our economy and manufacturing industry, just like privatisation, globalisation is a complete failure and coming back to bite us.

States borders being closed would make little difference if we had a decent industrial base throughout the country, instead of an as required/just in time, import shemozzle.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Blame the average person who wants everything and at the lowest price rather than the politicians. People want everything but if the price of milk increases by 10c they complain.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---Who recalls when they made the "Tasmanian Bluey" back in the 'old days'
They were a very good warm jacket. I think they were a knitted wool material. I don't think you can buy a Bluey now.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

I bought a pillow at a big store [can't think of their name at present] it was an Onkaparinga (sp) with Australian wool, yes on the tag "made in China".

PeterH
PeterH
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Problem is folk wil not pay for Australian made, Dick Smith tried to promote same with his range of products most of the proceeds going to charities I believe. My niece invited me to join the Australian made FB site, interesting the products still produced here but many with imported ingredients. :lol:
Shirley & Bruce.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I think the whole Australian Made has gone full circle since the pandemic outbreak and Australia being isolated from the world market place. That and the B/S China is carrying on with at the moment trying to manipulate the trade between our two countries, Aussies tend to look more at where it was manufactured and be willing to pay that bit extra for the local product. I know that if I could buy quality "Australia Made" lithium battery cells I'd buy them in preference to the Chinese Winston cells, but I at least buy them from an Australian small business importer so the $$ get shared around a bit within the country. I am trying to get the new BMS system components built in Australia by a local engineer rather than giving the information to the Chinese mob that keep telling me they can make just what I want .... I just don't believe them any more.

interesting the products still produced here but many with imported ingredients. It gets even worse than that Shirley, there is a lithium battery supplier that has the "Made in Australia" certification and displays that on their website making all sorts of claims, yet they were fully importing the batteries from Taiwan ...... Contacted the "Made in Australia" people and they weren't really interested, but they did ask if I wanted to pay the $$ and become a member too :twisted: I could probably do that with the "Made from local and imported ingredients" disclaimer because we only actually use imported lithium cells, we build them into batteries on site and build the BMS system ourselves, but again, at the moment even they are built from local and imported ingredients.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Visiting Goondiwindi a year or so ago, dropped in at the Goondi Cotton Shop.
Yes, all their products were made of locally grown cotton... shipped to China to be woven into cloth and sewn into clothing which was shipped back to Oz for sale as “local products”!
😳🙄
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Getting back to the subject of the OP...

I note in today’s news Gladys is complaining of “loopy politics” from Qld closing the NSW/Qld border against residents of the southern state...
There’s a Biblical quote... something about complaining about the splinter in another’s eye while ignoring the beam in your own... :roll:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields