A Lost Opportunity

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Re: A Lost Opportunity

Post by Greynomad »

When my son was just getting a handle on the printed word, I was reading a newspaper with him reading over my shoulder.
I turned the page to see a travel ad promoting the Thai city.
He studied the letters, then asked, “Daddy, where is ...” and he (naturally) rhymed it with ‘bucket’. 😁
I rapidly corrected his pronunciation. Then showed him a map. 🤭😳😀 SWMBO had to struggle to keep a straight face.
... At least he worked out that ‘ph’ made the ‘f’ sound. 👍
And the incident led to a lively discussion on words which sound different to the expected letter combinations.
His blunder has become part of our family’s standing jokes.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Grandad

Re: A Lost Opportunity

Post by Grandad »

Years ago, in another life, I was arranging a lease agreement for a well known Melbourne musician. He had a family company Phuket Pty Ltd.
I had no idea how to pronounce it and assumed it rhymed with Bucket. Had a quiet smile to myself and thought that was a most appropriate name for a muso's company.
I mentioned it to him at the end and he informed me of how it was actually pronounced.

I felt like an idiot.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it