Lock down

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Lock down

Post by T1 Terry »

They would need to build the airports there as well NP, these are over seas travellers returning to Australia that are bringing these mutant strains and reigniting the whole community transfer problem. What do you suggest as far as getting the people from the planes to the quarantine facilities? If they get off the plane and go through customs .... what about the transfer risk there? If one of the flight crew is infected, what do you do then?
So, it seems you are suggesting establishing an airport that can handle big planes, maintenance and refueling facilities, accommodation for the returned travellers, service staff, medical staff, air craft maintenance staff, customs staff and all the catering industry that is involved with restocking any planes that land that then need to fly out again om another long leg back to their country of origin .......

The service staff and security staff aren't even paid enough doing the job in the city for it to be their only job, who is going to pay the wages required for staff to completely relocate to these facilities you are suggesting .... we can't get enough medical staff as it is, where are the medical staff going to come from to treat any outbreaks .... then of course you need a top level hospital to treat them as well as adequately isolate the infected patients and worse case scenario what about those who don't survive? Once this multi billion dollar quarantine facility is established, what will the costs be just to maintain it once this pandemic ends and the next one starts ..... the Spanish flu was the last real world wide pandemic, every chance there will be more but how long between the end of this one and the next? There is enough carry on about maintaining a desalination plant to guard against the next serious drought over powering a cities water supply, can you imagine the out cry about the $$ spent maintaining a quarantine facility that is no longer needed ...... the govt won't even put up the $$ for the safer communities grants without fiddling with the recipients for political gain .....

Great sentiments NP, but not practical, a whole complexity involved in the idea, as the line from an annoying tv ad goes "where are we going to get the money for that" need a lot more than a masked guy in a track suit and ugg boots to finance the project .....

I see the mega $$ going out to the hotel sector to set up these quarantine facilities, but would you want your multi million dollar complex infected with Covid and not be able to use it for the normal high $$ clientele that keep these places going? $$$ talks, if there isn't $$ to be made then why do it? Who knows what the long term affect will be for these places once they are no longer Covid quarantine facilities ..... would you pay the big $$ to stay there knowing it was a Covid hotspot not too long ago?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

How do you spell ‘political suicide’?

R-e-g-i-o-n-a-l——l-o-c-k-d-o-w-n-!!!
😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:19 pm How do you spell ‘political suicide’?

R-e-g-i-o-n-a-l——l-o-c-k-d-o-w-n-!!!
😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬
Do too little to late? Worked for Trump, looks like it will work for Boris Johnson, do you really think locking down to stop a pandemic the likes of what we see over seas as a bad political move? ......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
The way I see it, there are two options:
1. Use defunct mining camps — which have their own airstrips for FIFO planes up to 737 size.

OR

2. Stop bringing people back unless they have done a minimum 14 days quarantine overseas and have (a) immunisation and (b) a negative test result before they are allowed to board the plane.

The gummint appears to be prioritising the individual rights of returning Australians above the rights of the community to remain Covid-free.

Australians overseas were told LAST MARCH — 11 MONTHS ago — to return to Australia.
Work contracts CAN be broken in extreme circumstances...
Holidays can be cut short, and travel insurance SHOULD cover the loss.

IMHO there’s no excuse for what we’re going through now.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Terry, there are already airports in central and northern Aus that are and do cater for very large aircraft along with the facilities to do it and lots of good accommodation. So far there doesn't seem to be any transmissions in our airports, so it's just a simple thing to move people from airports to quarantine outside cities by closed coaches, which is what they do now to get them to city hotels.

It's not political suicide to be logical and rational, the economics support moving quarantine out of population areas. Shutting down millions of people and hundreds of thousand of businesses, is a bigger economic hit than shutting down nothing but a quarantine area. I think they may find there current approach will be political suicide and see people really rebelling if they keep doing this insane approach by virtually locking everyone up and destroying, jobs, lives and businesses.

As for people working there, we already have thousands of remote workers, qualified people will jump at the chance to work there as long as proper precautions are established and we have the defence forces for internal and perimeter security. That's not hard to do, it's just a matter of locking in active cases and isolating quarantined people from workers and the outside environment by socially distancing methods.

Every day more and more evidence is coming through which says this is not the last pandemic virus, but only the beginning. In the last century we had 1 or 2 pandemics by viral infection. This century we've had at least 4, Ebola, two SARS and the covid19 and now its growing number of mutations, in the first 20 years of this century.

If that doesn't ring the bell for everyone and nothing is done but more of the same, it doesn't look good for the future. Herd immunity hasn't worked, Sweden tried that and my lady is a nurse in Sweden at the moment as she can't get home. She says the toll is horrendous but they won't admit it and now they have fully locked the country down and banned anyone entering. They have turned back ferries and are really getting into vaccinations that are flawed because of the speed they've made them up.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Greynomad wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:40 pm T1,
The way I see it, there are two options:
1. Use defunct mining camps — which have their own airstrips for FIFO planes up to 737 size.

OR

2. Stop bringing people back unless they have done a minimum 14 days quarantine overseas and have (a) immunisation and (b) a negative test result before they are allowed to board the plane.

The gummint appears to be prioritising the individual rights of returning Australians above the rights of the community to remain Covid-free.

Australians overseas were told LAST MARCH — 11 MONTHS ago — to return to Australia.
Work contracts CAN be broken in extreme circumstances...
Holidays can be cut short, and travel insurance SHOULD cover the loss.

IMHO there’s no excuse for what we’re going through now.
I suggested mining camps many post ago read the replies to that suggestion. There is also Woomera which has a monstrous airstrip and large unused town. There's also an airport near the Alice, which stores commercial and industrial aircraft and the Russian monster cargo plane has landed there a few times and the options available out of cities are endless.

There are close to 30000 aussies trapped overseas, most have been trapped for a year. It's not their fault, our insane government has put a limit of 3000 a week coming into the country and from my own ladies experience, unless you have between $12000 and $25000 for a business class price ticket, you get bumped off, even if you have been booked for months. My lady was booked for every month since last march and she gets cancelled within 24hrs of flight time. They've given her a July date for her next booking. Planes are restricted 1/3 their carrying capacity, so they only take those with the most money and that's business people and the rich and you read about them coming here every day. No logic in anything the governments are doing.
Dot

Post by Dot »

NO one to be let into Australia apart from returning Ozzies and they must go into places out of the cities plenty of small towns that are struggling, Motels , old army / air force camps, mining camps etc. Only a couple of weeks and if that helps contain this virus it would be worth it. Still too many people don't even think there is any virus. Why are sports people any different from us? they are allowed to fly here and there and borders coming down so people can go to a dam concert etc? $$$$ is the answer.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
dapope

Post by dapope »

Christmas island old detention camps etc.
But no, fed govvy says no
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

native pepper wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:56 pm Terry, there are already airports in central and northern Aus that are and do cater for very large aircraft along with the facilities to do it and lots of good accommodation. So far there doesn't seem to be any transmissions in our airports, so it's just a simple thing to move people from airports to quarantine outside cities by closed coaches, which is what they do now to get them to city hotels.

It's not political suicide to be logical and rational, the economics support moving quarantine out of population areas. Shutting down millions of people and hundreds of thousand of businesses, is a bigger economic hit than shutting down nothing but a quarantine area. I think they may find there current approach will be political suicide and see people really rebelling if they keep doing this insane approach by virtually locking everyone up and destroying, jobs, lives and businesses.

As for people working there, we already have thousands of remote workers, qualified people will jump at the chance to work there as long as proper precautions are established and we have the defence forces for internal and perimeter security. That's not hard to do, it's just a matter of locking in active cases and isolating quarantined people from workers and the outside environment by socially distancing methods.

Every day more and more evidence is coming through which says this is not the last pandemic virus, but only the beginning. In the last century we had 1 or 2 pandemics by viral infection. This century we've had at least 4, Ebola, two SARS and the covid19 and now its growing number of mutations, in the first 20 years of this century.

If that doesn't ring the bell for everyone and nothing is done but more of the same, it doesn't look good for the future. Herd immunity hasn't worked, Sweden tried that and my lady is a nurse in Sweden at the moment as she can't get home. She says the toll is horrendous but they won't admit it and now they have fully locked the country down and banned anyone entering. They have turned back ferries and are really getting into vaccinations that are flawed because of the speed they've made them up.
Ummmm..... a Cafe in the Melbourne airport is a hotspot right now. A coach driver who ferried the air craft crew to and from hotel quarantine came down with the virus a while back https://www.9news.com.au/national/coron ... 0d1a6d5b8e It looks to me like you haven't actually researched this much NP with two blaring factual errors in the opening paragraph. Doesn't actually spur me on to read more because that just means I have more alternate fact checking to do ......
The opening line just doesn't ring true without going to the trouble of trying to find just which airports you mean. The hospital situation outside the capitals is not up to the serious infection containment requirements and would require a lot of disruption to the already stretched medical staff .... I know this is the case because my sister died in a regional hospital because they couldn't keep her isolated from staph, my mother died in a major hospital in Wollongong because of the same thing ..... If they can't contain a staph infection they sure aren't up to containing a Covid outbreak ..... so now the problem moves from some where they can actually do something about it to a remote area where it would get right out of hand real quick ... not quite a solution is it.

Just because people choose to live and start a business in a centralised area doesn't mean they should get special treatment at the expense of those who chose to live in a more decentralised location .... are you saying we would be better isolating Tasmania and sending them all there ??? Sounds like where you live might be an ideal location ... got any spare rooms?

The claim about at least 4 pandemics in the first 20 yrs of this century ...... https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... emics.html There is a huge difference between a Pandemic and an epidemic, I think you might be confusing the two ....

Herd immunity worked for the Spanish flu ... it had to because the medical science wasn't up to the task back then .... but it is now .... I reckon I'll put my faith in the scientists and medical people who do the actual research, I doubt it as flawed as your research seems to be .......

T1 Terry
Dot

Post by Dot »

As people get off the planes make them use the emergency slides straight into a big drenching pool, herd them onto cattle trucks and into a tent city out in the middle of Oz. Supplies will be dropped in by chopper.... Just need this virus to be stopped so we can get on with living and stop letting anyone into the country.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.