An Electric vehicle that can act as a house storage battery for solar

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

An Electric vehicle that can act as a house storage battery for solar

Post by T1 Terry »

There are a few manufactures that are talking about releasing these new concept electric vehicle, but Hyundai Motor corporation, the parent company for both Hyundai and Kia vehicles, are releasing this new concept EV next yr https://thedriven.io/2020/12/03/hyundai ... -platform/ don't ya just hate the ads that seem to end up in these news bits :twisted:
The stage is being set for more and more houses to go off grid and use their own solar generated power for both the house and vehicle fuel. No more grid connection fees, fuel excise tax and fluctuating fuel prices just before a holiday period. A small battery pack on the premises for when mum takes the car shopping to keep the fridge etc running and somewhere for the solar energy to go, then when back home, plug in and the car battery becomes part of the house battery storage. It can then be used to power the peak loads when the power companies want to charge the big money for power from the grid, yet charge during the day when the loads are minimal. This will also supply over night power to run the household stuff when the sun isn't shining.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Re: An Electric vehicle that can act as a house storage battery for solar

Post by Greynomad »

Interesting, T1.
I wonder how long it will take Suzuki to catch up with a Jimny BEV...
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

T1 , You may remember when we met at Mannum a few years ago I put forward the same concept, but using a similar portable battery system that I could rotate between the house solar system with battery inverter and the van just using the vans 12v solar when going away and inverting to 240V if ever needed.

The main difference I see between my idea and Hyundai / Kia is my idea of complete batteries and charging systems that were portable from house to van.

For some reason it wasn't considered a good idea so I dropped it and didn't proceed any further.

I had this idea from a bush block I had quite a few years ago, that ran a small wind genni ( lowered when not there, raised when there ) 2 x N70 batteries in the Ford and a big fat lead that ran from the batteries to the shed to plug it in when I was there.
Of course, there were no LEDs then, so everything was 12v light globes and used quite a bit of the battery's capacity nightly.

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Connect my bus to the guest cottage, so guests who have no idea of living off grid, don't compromise that house system and have connected it to the house when having many days of no sun and little wind. Just connect a 15amp extension lead to the outside power point on the cottage and it has power, same with the house, plug the bus into the outside power point if needed. but so far never needed it and only tested it out a couple of times.

If you use your car to power your house, you'd have to charge the car elsewhere which could cost you money and may leave you with a dead car or low range at home. Sounds good in theory, but the practical side, a bit sus. I'd prefer to have a bigger house system and charge the car at home, so you have the best of both worlds and lower charging costs which could add up to big savings over time. When i get my EV, will increase the house system with more panels and cells especially for the car and will be a backup for the home as well.
Izabarack

Post by Izabarack »

Quite a lot of companies in Japan have encouraged EV uptake by installing Recharge stations in the company car parks. Employees are expected to drive to work, put the vehicle on charge for the day, then drive home and plug the vehicle into the house to use the stored energy for household needs. Idea has been going a couple of years now and the uptake is expanding.

Aust Govt is already concerned about the negative effects on revenue (fuel tax) of EV uptake. Elec supply mobs are also considering upping the standing charge for supply in anticipation of more and more people using Solar for day time needs. That concern applies to use of batteries for time shifting use of Solar energy.

Iza
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Another 5 years and it will be a very different approach to energy, hopefully we will have governments that embrace the changes and energy costs actually reduce, rather than just continue to go up and up, against the never ending deceptive claims of politicians that they will go down.

Charging your Ev at work is fine if you work for someone who can provide charge points, but the majority won't have that privilege and with the move to more and more part time work, most won't have access to charge points. Major retailers etc won't have the ability to provide their workers all with charge points, they will want customers to have that access.

Governments should be putting our money into electric public transport, which should be much cheaper to run and maintain. Then people could leave their Ev's at home during working hours and get the benefit of charging and house power overnight.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Izabarack wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:46 am Quite a lot of companies in Japan have encouraged EV uptake by installing Recharge stations in the company car parks. Employees are expected to drive to work, put the vehicle on charge for the day, then drive home and plug the vehicle into the house to use the stored energy for household needs. Idea has been going a couple of years now and the uptake is expanding.

Aust Govt is already concerned about the negative effects on revenue (fuel tax) of EV uptake. Elec supply mobs are also considering upping the standing charge for supply in anticipation of more and more people using Solar for day time needs. That concern applies to use of batteries for time shifting use of Solar energy.

Iza
There is a deal already set up in SA to sell power ultra cheap for battery charging after 10am and ending around 3pm when the evening load starts up. I expect this idea of 2 way sharing with the electric vehicle will lead to even lower cost offered during the non peak times in exchange for having the stored power available during peak demand. They do that now with house battery systems so it wouldn't be a big stretch to add in the two way EV battery to the mix.
A lot of the grid now suffers from over supply during off peak yet struggle during peak times so being able to store the excess at someone else's expense will be popular with the power companies and they can avoid huge financial outlay required to replace the failing coal fired stations they have neglected maintenance wise for so many yrs.
They know coal fired is going to be a no go due to costs and gas fired is very expensive so only profitable during peak power times. If you can get someone else to provide the equipment and storage at their own expense and maintain at their own expense, yet actually sell them excess energy when no one else wants it and give them bugger all for it when the resellers need it, it's a no brainer which way the govt lobbying will go ....

The problem they are most concerned about is people dumping the grid entirely, then they loose revenue for grid connection, their rules no longer apply and they loose the big stick they had that they would cut you off the grid if you didn't comply and energy storage at no cost to them.
There is no reason why each household with it's own electric vehicle as the main storage facility (at no extra cost) couldn't store their own solar and become their own mini grid. From there, what is there to stop residential complexes expanding on the same idea and building their own mini grid and sell power to those that need it while buying it cheap from those that can supply it ...... then big business takes up the idea and supplies an EV as the company car and uses the EV battery storage to cut down their own electricity bills ..... The death of the power network model .... big change is on the doorstep and not in the direction so many scare mongers predicted, it won't be a grid overload recharging EV's but rather a grid exodus resulting in it collapsing because private enterprise can no longer make money from it ....
The taxi industry has suffered it with the entry of Uber and other copy cat businesses, the take-away industry with Menulog and the copy cat mobs demanding a discount for the sales they generate and the loss of the add on sales when the customer is influenced by the sales posts and smells or the dine in customer who has a few drinks and adds in a desert that they would not have done if the evening hadn't been so good they didn't want it to end ..... a trick we were taught when I did my hospitality training, not only were you looking for a tip, you were looking for added sales to keep your job .....
If the Uber type idea goes big with electric vehicles and they add in the power storage benefits for a major building complex so they can be based out of their carparks, the whole parking station business model collapses and car sales fall even further because there is no longer a need for the expense of their own car for city use and a rental car will do the holiday trips if they still want to do holiday trips in a car ..... Hire a self contained motorhome perhaps? Caravan Parks turning into self contained cabins for the family to over night while the vehicle recharges or holiday resorts where an electric vehicle can be hire to sight see etc and return at night for the holiday park to recharge and maintain????

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

There is no reason why each household with it's own electric vehicle as the main storage facility (at no extra cost) couldn't store their own solar and become their own mini grid. From there, what is there to stop residential complexes expanding on the same idea and building their own mini grid and sell power to those that need it while buying it cheap from those that can supply it ......
Yackandanda is doing just that...
the dine in customer who has a few drinks and adds in a desert that they would not have done if the evening hadn't been so good they didn't want it to end ..... a trick we were taught when I did my hospitality training, not only were you looking for a tip, you were looking for added sales to keep your job .....
Ditto when I trained as a waiter for some spare cash. ;)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

T1 Terry wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:29 pm There is no reason why each household with it's own electric vehicle as the main storage facility (at no extra cost) couldn't store their own solar and become their own mini grid. From there, what is there to stop residential complexes expanding on the same idea and building their own mini grid and sell power to those that need it while buying it cheap from those that can supply it ...... then big business takes up the idea and supplies an EV as the company car and uses the EV battery storage to cut down their own electricity bills ..... The death of the power network model .... big change is on the doorstep and not in the direction so many scare mongers predicted, it won't be a grid overload recharging EV's but rather a grid exodus resulting in it collapsing because private enterprise can no longer make money from it ....
There is lots of talk lately in our area, which is at the end of the grid system to pool resources, provide every home and business with solar and storage and putting in a central battery to take excess power for business an emergencies. They get a lot of blackouts here because of the high winds we always get and tourists banging into poles whilst looking at the scenery and not knowing how to drive on Tas roads.

It may not be that long before the people really wake up and more and more get their own solar power and storage systems. It's so cheap now with huge economic benefits for everyone, even though our system cost a bit way back, we still got the original money back within 6 years and save close to $1500 a year. Now you'd get it back sooner and have the benefit of an uninterrupted power supply. Add an Ev and life would become a breeze.

Just a little note, for those who would like and EV for a decent price. There is a business called the good guys motors I think it's called, they import 2-3 year old Ev's from Japan and starting to get them from Sth Korea. A friend of mine has just purchased a 3 year old Nissan leaf, for $35000 and it's a really nice Ev. The only problem she has found is all the instruments and instruction book is in Japanese so she had to download the USA version, which is 150 pages. I've made inquiries for a Hyundai Kona and they say they will have some in march next year.
Last edited by native pepper on Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

Some people may remember a service station, ware the attendant would fill the tank with fuel, check the oil & water, clean the wind screen and pump up your tyres, all the time be ready to inform you that your LHR tyre needs replacing, your wiper blades are perished there was no water in your battery and your oil is in need of a change.
When I was a young wipersnapper I was told the driveway and the Lube bay were their to feed the workshop etc. there was no money in fuel [about 1.1/2 pence per gallon] but the money was in TBA [tyres, Batteries, assesories]. Remember the tigers tails hanging out of the boots [put a tiger in your tank].
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PeterH
PeterH