An Electric vehicle that can act as a house storage battery for solar

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Noggins

Re: An Electric vehicle that can act as a house storage battery for solar

Post by Noggins »

pet-els wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:41 pm Some people may remember a service station, ware the attendant would fill the tank with fuel, check the oil & water, clean the wind screen and pump up your tyres, all the time be ready to inform you that your LHR tyre needs replacing, your wiper blades are perished there was no water in your battery and your oil is in need of a change.
When I was a young wipersnapper I was told the driveway and the Lube bay were their to feed the workshop etc. there was no money in fuel [about 1.1/2 pence per gallon] but the money was in TBA [tyres, Batteries, assesories]. Remember the tigers tails hanging out of the boots [put a tiger in your tank].
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PeterH
Yehh did all that in my young days, the "Tiger in the tank", a small tiger on a key chain with a removable tail that you could put between the legs out front :o
The Golden Fleece "Activate" ( urinate, fill up and P-orf ) and their driveway uniforms with a bow tie.
They had a regular tie until they found out it was Definitely NOT a good idea to lean over a running motor .... with resultant deaths.
I spent a lot of my growing up in Service Stations and Garages and still can remember the old names that have disappeared from today.

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Noggins wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:56 pm....... and their driveway uniforms with a bow tie.
They had a regular tie until they found out it was Definitely NOT a good idea to lean over a running motor .... with resultant deaths.
I love the little bits of trivia one can learn. So, that was why the bowtie was used. Fascinating.
(Yeah I know. Obviously doesn't take much to fascinate me :D )

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

pet-els wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:41 pm Some people may remember a service station, ware the attendant would fill the tank with fuel, check the oil & water, clean the wind screen and pump up your tyres, all the time be ready to inform you that your LHR tyre needs replacing, your wiper blades are perished there was no water in your battery and your oil is in need of a change.
When I was a young wipersnapper I was told the driveway and the Lube bay were their to feed the workshop etc. there was no money in fuel [about 1.1/2 pence per gallon] but the money was in TBA [tyres, Batteries, assesories]. Remember the tigers tails hanging out of the boots [put a tiger in your tank].

PeterH
I think the "Tiger in the Tank" was Esso, many moons later Stanley came on the scene with the Golden Fleece adverts ..... I started out in the trade as a mechanic at a 24hr Golden Fleece servo and if the workshop got quiet, my job was to go out and pump fuel until I generated more work for myself in the workshop. Got a tad carried away the first time, ended up working 12 hr days 7 days a week catching up the backlog :lol:
Ended up doing the night shift on the bowsers, still paid at mechanics rates, because the workshop was sublet. The work soon dried up because the customers were really my customers, not the service station as such, so the bloke subletting the workshop up and left leaving a trail of debts and poor workmanship behind. Rather than going back as a mechanic I offered to take over the sublet workshop complete with the apprentice .... big step for a 19yr old ..... back to 12hr days 7 days a week ..... still haven't learnt eh :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Coolabah1au

Post by Coolabah1au »

[emoji590][emoji848][emoji106][emoji3060][emoji120][emoji2956][emoji3062][emoji3062][emoji3166][emoji381][emoji381][emoji381]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

T1 Terry wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:12 pm ..... I started out in the trade as a mechanic at a 24hr Golden Fleece servo
So you started life as a mechanic?
I always thought you had a background in one of the electrical trades. Something to do with electric motors if I recall correctly???

But that recollection would require a working memory so I may be confusing you with someone else.

So, what sent you down the electrical field?

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

So, what sent you down the electrical field?
I worked on the cutting edge so to speak of aftermarket computer fuel and electrical computer stuff as well as adapting the computer and various outputs for engine upgrades like a V6 commodore engine in a Mitsubishi 2.8ltr diesel Pajero and replacing the Hilux 4cyl petrol motor with a V6 Commodore engine ... as well as upgrades to the computer systems to handle higher boost on a whole range of turbo cars. I also worked as a plant mechanic on rail equipment that was all electric over hydraulic and sorted the night time running issues where they hydraulics no longer respond after about 5 hrs running. Then worked on big site crane building at the same time as they were just starting to install computer bases motors and computer controlled hydraulics. later I work in the maintenance dept of a pipe coatings plant that ran on computer based C++ machine language so I got to be the interface between the fitters and the electrical dept.
What got me into the solar and lithium batteries was trying to build a solar/battery system for the big bus to run the air con over night as well as all 240vac appliances. I started out with 28 x 100Ah AGM batteries that had been removed when the No6 blast furnace UPS was upgraded. This where I discovered that it wasn't simply a matter of linking 12v batteries in parallel to supply the 100 amps I required. In theory, I really only needed 20 x 12v batteries to provide the 100 amps while only drawing 5 amps per battery so I could retain the 10 hr run time before the batteries dropped to 50% SOC and I could recharge at over 100 amps ...... that came crashing down when 28 x 100Ah lasted about 3 1/2 hrs. That lead searching for a way to get an even current draw from every battery in parallel ... can be done but the cost and equipment size was impractical.
Then I went looking for an alternative to lead acid batteries and that is where the whole thing really kicked off. Everything I read on line made no sense because there was no common thread anywhere that allowed the wheat to be sorted from the chaff, so the only approach I could see that would work was to get some and do the testing myself, $10,000 worth actually ....
I tried to share what I learnt each time (at my own expense) with the CMCA forum and the Caravanner forum, those who knew everything there was to know hounded me until I was finally banned from the Caravanner forum and given a weeks suspension from the CMCA forum, which I never posted on again.
Funnily enough, the same trolls turned up on the grey Nomad forum and eventually I got banned from there as well .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

This forum is far more tolerant of a little sh!tstirring fun, and we listen/read when people post useful stuff which might be contrary to the norm (or Colin).😜
That’s why I’m here and not on the CMCA forum.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1 Terry wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:12 pm

PeterH
I think the "Tiger in the Tank" was Esso, many moons later Stanley came on the scene with the Golden Fleece adverts ..... I started out in the trade as a mechanic at a 24hr Golden Fleece servo and if the workshop got quiet, my job was to go out and pump fuel until I generated more work for myself in the workshop. Got a tad carried away the first time, ended up working 12 hr days 7 days a week catching up the backlog :lol:
Ended up doing the night shift on the bowsers, still paid at mechanics rates, because the workshop was sublet. The work soon dried up because the customers were really my customers, not the service station as such, so the bloke subletting the workshop up and left leaving a trail of debts and poor workmanship behind. Rather than going back as a mechanic I offered to take over the sublet workshop complete with the apprentice .... big step for a 19yr old ..... back to 12hr days 7 days a week ..... still haven't learnt eh :lol:

T1 Terry
Seen at our local Picker’s Cafe & Collectables...
DFE9852A-020C-46F8-A010-FB945231164A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Grandad wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:28 am So, what sent you down the electrical field?

Jim
I think T1 is being a little bit modest with his achievements. I think he also had a bit (lot) to do with a 6 cyl drag car that was tuned beyond expectations and might have even created a few records. I'm sure that he will correct me if I'm wrong.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
If David is right, have you had any experience with Hydrazine fuel? (N2H4) 😳
Regards & God bless,
Ray