An Electric vehicle that can act as a house storage battery for solar

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Grandad

Re: An Electric vehicle that can act as a house storage battery for solar

Post by Grandad »

Thanks Terry,
I first found you on the caravanners forum. When you were banned, I then found you on the nomads. Then followed you here.
I still read the nomads forum from time to time. Their jokes section is still the best on the net and I get to start my day with a chuckle more often than not. But the Techincal section is now not worth reading. There may well be some on there who know their stuff but I don't know who's who so don't know who to believe.
I've never been back to the caravanners forum.

Jim

Edit to add: You may like to know, your name is sometimes mentioned in nomad technical forum. Several people still speak very highly of you.
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:03 pm T1,
If David is right, have you had any experience with Hydrazine fuel? (N2H4) 😳
Experimented with some very exotic fuels and some that have been put forward as a fuel and debunked seriously, yet I made addition power out of it that was verified by a number of other tuners who couldn't figure out the delivery system or how I made it work :lol: The same fuel was later used in the turbo Sierra that won Bathurst but was later disqualified. That fuel was 50/50 water/methanol, injected into the intake after the turbo and it pulled the air temp below zero enabling a lot more air to enter the cyls per cycle. The methanol boiled off under compression and the water absorbed the huge temperature spike that normally caused detonation and shattered piston ring lands and blew head gaskets as well as melt piston crowns. When the pressure and heat reached extremes, it was suggested the water actually separated into hydrogen and oxygen, then ignited itself recombining into water droplets and exiting through the exhaust increasing the density and therefore increasing the efficiency of the turbo. That bit was widely disputed until a study and later book called, solar, water, hydrogen where they show the splitting of the water into hydrogen and oxygen is energy related and was not restricted to electrical energy, but any energy in large enough quantities caused the separation of the bonds.

Anyway, the best fuels came from VP Racing and were oxygenated in a way that released as much oxygen as nitros oxide without the nitrogen content that quenched the flame front.

Loved those days developing race engines from stock road car engines, these days much more performance can be extracted from full electric or hybrid electric, who would have thought you could develop over 1,000hp from zero engine revolutions and tack on an internal combustion motor that could develop the same sort of power as it spun up .....

Funny to think back, at an IAME heavy vehicle meeting, I put forward the idea of a gas fuelled turbine driving an alternator and powering electric motors on each wheel, thus eliminating the need for a clutch, gearbox, diffs, and assist with braking on long down hill descents. They all laughed and made jokes until I put forward that as little as 50kW per wheel would produce 300kW from zero revolutions of the wheels onwards just on the prime mover, add a tri axle trailer and you get another 300kW on the ground, add more trailers and each wheel motor requires less output, yet that full output was available if needed with zero chance of wheel spin or lock up when braking .... they then said it was all pie in the sky .... that vehicle is now in production .......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Interesting, T1.
A man ahead of your time.

Reason I ask is that, as a callow youth, I attended Castlereagh Drag Strip (Sydney) to witness some visiting Yanks run their AA Fuellers in frankly amazing times compared with the Oz challengers.
One did a demo run using Hydrazine fuel, and sh!t all over the normal fueller times.
Then they took it back to the pits for some minor repairs. As it crossed the bottom timing light it blew a head gasket. Complete with head... and the top half of the left block. Landed 500m away.
The driver was interviewed by the course commentator. He related an incident in US where a 4gal can of Hydrazine was left sitting near a drag car for about 15 minutes before they started the engine. Sound waves from the straight-through headers vibrated the can to the point that a crust which had formed inside was fractured. That set off the Hydrazine. Scorched the pits for 20ft around (including his car), and the top of the can was found 300m away in a tree.
A somewhat unstable fuel, now banned in drag racing.

(Crust detonation info was later found by a research lab investigating both the pit explosion and why the engine in Oz sh!t itself so spectacularly.)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Morning Ray, I was at Castlereagh Drags when the fist "rail" topped the 200 miles a hour, back in the 6ixties :D
Bernie .
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Here's the vehicle to act as a house storage system, low cost and range of 1000klms making it extremely viable for Aus and so cool looking.

"Aptera's Never Charge technology is comprised of an integrate solar package that provides more than 40 miles of ‘free’ driving per day ‘making it the first vehicle that won’t need to fuel up for most daily driving.’

The vehicle is also equipped with a battery pack that provides 1,000 miles of range, which greatly surpasses the Tesla Model S’s 370 miles of range. "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... range.html
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

BernieQ2 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:33 am Morning Ray, I was at Castlereagh Drags when the fist "rail" topped the 200 miles a hour, back in the 6ixties :D
Bernie .
Hmm. Would we have been at the same meeting?
There was a Yank rail there shaped like an icecream cone on its side with another cone over the driver. All finished with gold metalflake.
Went like the proverbial dog excrement out of a shanghai!
Vaguely remember it was about 1962~3?
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Memory to dim these days Ray.
Don't remember the date.
But do remember all the excitement.
They almost do those speeds in a FJ😁 now.
Bernie.
Yep it was a American rail.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I reckon that it may have been Ash Marshall in the Soapy Sales dragster. He was the first international member of the Victorian hotrod club that I used to be a member of, a very long time ago.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Ash Marshall....now Dave your showing your age 🤔🤔😁
That was a name from the past.
I then We used to do to all the race tracks back in the day around Sydney.
Bernie.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Bernie, nah, just a good memory. And I did get to read the club history back in the mid 70's. Some of the old guys were still around then. And it was still fun and you didn't need an absolute motza to have a quick race car.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.