An Electric vehicle that can act as a house storage battery for solar

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
El Gringo

Re: An Electric vehicle that can act as a house storage battery for solar

Post by El Gringo »

T1 Terry wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:17 pm
That fuel was 50/50 water/methanol, injected into the intake after the turbo and it pulled the air temp below zero enabling a lot more air to enter the cyls per cycle. The methanol boiled off under compression and the water absorbed the huge temperature spike that normally caused detonation and shattered piston ring lands and blew head gaskets as well as melt piston crowns. When the pressure and heat reached extremes, it was suggested the water actually separated into hydrogen and oxygen, then ignited itself recombining into water droplets and exiting through the exhaust increasing the density and therefore increasing the efficiency of the turbo. That bit was widely disputed until a study and later book called, solar, water, hydrogen where they show the splitting of the water into hydrogen and oxygen is energy related and was not restricted to electrical energy, but any energy in large enough quantities caused the separation of the bonds.

T1 Terry
I had a mechanic friend in Bundaberg years ago that modified his HG Holden to run with water or water/metho.
He had a small jet drilled into the carby just under the butterfly and the vacuum of the intake would pull the mixture in.
Usually he ran it with straight water, mainly for economy and to keep the inside of the engine steam cleaned, but he often towed a van as well and would do the 50/50 mix for some more power.

I always wanted to give it a try, but never have.
I have been thinking of late to try it on my diesel in the bus.
No butterfly of course, but with an old washer pump to inject it through a jet of some sort...
Hmmm.

Cheers,
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
Busman

Post by Busman »

Bernie, no old washer machine pump, you need minimum 200 psi, 1000 is better and some 8 micron jets.
You know how much better diesels run when it is raining ?
A bit of water injection can do the same.
Better though before air filter in case a nozzle gives way
Been there and still doing that
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Mine's naturally aspirated so I thought just a spry nozzle of some sort would work.
Any pics of your setup, or some more details of how and what you used?

Cheers,
Bernie B
Busman

Post by Busman »

Too busy getting ready for vintage for pics but we used a 200 psi 24 v pump and 4 x 8 micron fog nozzles that inject at the top of the air intake (gutter level)
Switch to activate for when required, float switch in storage tank so open to pressurised water system to keep that small tank full
Will also add 4 psi propane injection at some stage, right now need to wait till vines are asleep before have time for bus
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Thanx William,
Nice to hear from you again too.
Not familiar with this vintage you speak of, is it work or fun?

Thanx for the info, I've got to much to do at present also, but will look at it again manana...

Cheers,
Bernie B
Busman

Post by Busman »

Gringo,
Vintage is what winemakers call grape harvest and crush and making wine. First year of our own grapes, managed to kill a few vines but still have plenty. Only doing it for fun, we give the stuff away, trouble is it is so good quality we get people coming back wanting to buy the stuff
William
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

T1 Terry
[/quote]

I had a mechanic friend in Bundaberg years ago that modified his HG Holden to run with water or water/metho.
He had a small jet drilled into the carby just under the butterfly and the vacuum of the intake would pull the mixture in.
Usually he ran it with straight water, mainly for economy and to keep the inside of the engine steam cleaned, but he often towed a van as well and would do the 50/50 mix for some more power.

I always wanted to give it a try, but never have.
I have been thinking of late to try it on my diesel in the bus.
No butterfly of course, but with an old washer pump to inject it through a jet of some sort...
Hmmm.
Cheers,
[/quote]

I ran an EJ holden with water injection way back in the 1960's with a kit I bought and friend runs his veggie oil
Nissan patrol with water injection. He switches it on when he's going up big hills, or needs a boost in power. Many times have thought of doing it myself on the cruiser and bus, but like Terry, yet to get round to it.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Busman wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:36 am Gringo,
Vintage is what winemakers call grape harvest and crush and making wine. First year of our own grapes, managed to kill a few vines but still have plenty. Only doing it for fun, we give the stuff away, trouble is it is so good quality we get people coming back wanting to buy the stuff
William
Can I send you my postal address? 😜👍
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Busman

Post by Busman »

Sorry Ray, don't have a licence to post the stuff, only personal customers
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

You will get a better cooling effect with LPG than straight water and the diesel doe not burn hot enough to create the steam and certainly not hot enough to create water/gas (split the hydrogen and oxygen bond) You could try building an electrolyser to run off the solar to give a boost on the hill climbs. If you look up "Joe Cell" you will see some weird talk about mystical powers, too much weed I reckon, but his idea about multiple high grade stainless steel cyls, each a slightly smaller diameter, between 5 & 7 for a 12v system and 10 to 14 for a 24v system. I'd recommend the negative outside and positive as the centre cyl because you want to avoid electrolysis in the motor itself and possible short circuits to the outer electrolyser body.

There are other ideas that use thick aluminium wire wound like a spiral coil spring and each of the layers equally spaced from the outside coil to the inside coil.
The idea is the water acts as a conductor between each layer sharing the voltage across the layers so there is a 2v to 3v differential making each layer a double sided electrolyser, hydrogen one side and oxygen the other. You can get technical and separate the output from each side so you get oxygen and hydrogen and mix it at the intake somehow, or you can just let the whole lot mix itself and run it through a "bubbler" close to the intake. The bubbler is intended to be the blocker between the oxygen/hydrogen producer and the intake to avoid a "flash back" that is a fire front about as fast as the speed of light :shock: and travels back to the electrolyser and blows it to pieces :o Quite spectacular but the co pilot won't let you build another one :lol:

Worth its own topic I reckon, no value in running one off an alternator, more power lost at the flywheel than produced by the hydrogen/oxygen burning and cooling effect, but the solar power if free so you can get a genuine power boost, and maybe organise a regen via the alternator for the long down hill runs to save the brakes .......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO