Vale Doug Anthony

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Vale Doug Anthony

Post by Greynomad »

Just announced that former Deputy PM & Country Party/National Party leader, Doug Anthony has died aged 90.

Apart from his political career, he will probably be best remembered for cartoonists taking the p!ss, the comedy team Doug Anthony Allstars, and a line in the 1970s comedy series “The Naked Vicar Show”:
“People love me. It’s my animal magnetism.” (Bob Hawke look-alike when the real Hawke was thinking aloud of running for parliament)
“Animal magnetism?!? You have as much animal magnetism as a pair of gumboots with Doug Anthony in ‘em!”
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RIP old man. 🪦
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Vale Doug Anthony

Post by T1 Terry »

Just for those who might have been confused and thinking Doug Anthony the politician was part of the Doug Anthony All Stars:
from a Sydney Morning Herald article
He became known to newer generations when his name was adopted by the musical comedy group, the Doug Anthony All Stars.

A member of the troupe, Paul McDermott, noted on social media the death of Mr Anthony.

"Doug Anthony has passed. When Andrew Denton organised a TV meeting between Doug & DAAS, we knew our humour was not to his taste, and we’d hijacked his name. I found Doug generous, kindly and accepting. Vale. I’m thinking of Doug, and his loved ones on this sad day," he said.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

My sloppy work.
I must be slipping in my old age... never would have let a journalist get away with that when I was subediting! :oops:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:01 pm My sloppy work.
I must be slipping in my old age... never would have let a journalist get away with that when I was subediting! :oops:
Hmmm...... read about that in another thread, were both slips related to polishing off that bottle of red you'd just opened so you could put the bottle in the recycling?

T1 Terry
My turn for a :oops: Just read the other thread and saw WayneP had suggested something similar days ago. no prize for an also ran so I'll hang my head in shame and stand in the corner for a while :roll:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO