Mutchilba Monsoon

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Cuppa

Mutchilba Monsoon

Post by Cuppa »

Regular rain late arvo every day commenced in parched Mutchilba 4 days ago. Heaviest fall last night - 63mm. Almost 200mm over 4 days. Creeks that have been dry since we arrived here last March have become raging torrents. We were cut off last night by fast running water over our concrete causeway entrance. Now about 2" below the top of the concrete & still raging. More forecast for the next few days. Brown & dry is rapidly turning green. Huge puddles still soak away quickly into the sandy soil. More bugs/beetle, flying ants etc around at night. The Channel-billed Cuckoos are gathering together ready for their northern migration. Rains have cooled things down to daily tops in the low 30's (instead of high 30's) but humidity has risen (although nothing like it is down in Cairns.

MrsTea has survived an acute allergic reaction to something unknown (but we suspect debris off a collapsed tin roof brought down by 53mm rain in under two hours on a chook pen which was beneath a Ponciana tree). Intra muscular adrenaline & oral steroids at Mareeba hospital did the trick . Will be trying to secure an Epipen for future travels.

Best wishes for 2021 to all.
Shirley

Re: Mutchilba Monsoon

Post by Shirley »

Cuppa my youngest son is allergic to fish, he never goes anywhere without his Epipen, started to eat crocodile at a Chinese restaurant didn't even get the first mouthful down, ended up in hospital for the night after restaurant called an ambulance.
Even walking on fish scales make his feet itchy & he's into water sports, kite & wing surfing etc., always at the beach.
We found out when he was about 18 mths old, I fed him fish & mashed potato, ended up in Bundaberg hospital, he was so swollen even his head, it was unbelievable.
Shirley & Bruce.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Glad to hear Mrs Tea has recovered from what ever knocked her around. Might have even been a spider bite after all those aged structures coming tumbling down, I'm guessing there would have been quite a few displaced and not real happy about.
Hope this Yr is kind to all, we made it through one of the really dark yrs so the horizon should be looking brighter with the promise of a vaccine against this pandemic, fingers crossed it isn't a leap from the frying pan into the fire ......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

I think every traveler should have at least one epipen in their first aid kit. Never know what is out and about. Good to hear she is doing well.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Glad the Misses is ok mate, my money on the poinciana tree. Take care Robert
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

Another 40mm overnight & similar forecast daily for the next week, one forecast service predicting 180mm over the next 5 days , with the added bonus of us being on the edge of the forecast cyclone track that is forming in the gulf. Rain softened ground sufficiently to bring an old dead Ponciana down yesterday arvo, so this morning we set about testing MrsTea's allergy by trying to clear some of it up. Stopped about an hour ago & no symptoms yet.Not really expecting them as the tree has not had any leaves/pollen etc on it for a couple of years at least, but ready for a dash into Mareeba if needed.
IMG_2014.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I hope that you two can dodge that cyclone, if it does eventuate. Also hope that you get to sort out Julies allergy issue, sooner rather than later.

Edit:
Looks like its a cyclone now, Imogen I think they called it.
Good luck Cuppa and Mrs Tea.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.