A Brain Teaser

Place your jokes in this section. A little naughty will be tolerated but please no really vulgar ones!!! If you might be offended it may be better to bypass this section!!!
Greynomad

A Brain Teaser

Post by Greynomad »

Here's one to ponder:

THIS IS AN UNUSUAL PARAGRAPH. I’m curious about just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it. You still may not find anything odd but if you work at it, you might find out. Try to do it without any coaching!

:twisted:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Busman

Re: A Brain Teaser

Post by Busman »

No indent ?
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
mikeg

Post by mikeg »

8 short sentences in 4 lines, far too many which could have been reduced to 1 or 2.
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

No E's

PeterH
PeterH
Dot

Post by Dot »

No idea I am zonked again :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

PeterH,

Ya got it in one! :P :D

The most frequently-used letter of the English alphabet does not appear anywhere in those four sentences. :o

If you have a puzzle, Peter, go for it!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

Peter is a puzzle :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I'll put one up while Peter gets his ready.
Three friends decide to split the bill after a meal at a restaurant. The waiter says the bill is $90, so each guest pays $30.
“Later the waiter realises the bill should only be $85. To rectify this, he takes $5 from the amount to return to the group.
“On the way to the table, the waiter realises that he cannot divide the money equally. As the customers didn't know the total of the revised bill, the waiter decides to just give each of the three friends $1 and keep $2 for himself.
“Each guest got $1 back: so now each guest only paid $29; bringing the total paid to $87. The waiter has $2. $87+ $2 = $89 so, if the guests originally handed over $90, what happened to the remaining $1?”
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

It must be a flaw in the way you do sums T1. $85 divided by three equals $28.33 add the one dollar returned + $ 29.33. Times 3 = $87.99 then add the $2 he tipped himself and we are only 1 cent out. Poor old Mr Turnbull missed out again. Or is that how govt do their sums anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:
Either way, there is no victim this time. :roll:
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 pm It must be a flaw in the way you do sums T1. $85 divided by three equals $28.33 add the one dollar returned + $ 29.33. Times 3 = $87.99 then add the $2 he tipped himself and we are only 1 cent out. Poor old Mr Turnbull missed out again. Or is that how govt do their sums anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:
Either way, there is no victim this time. :roll:
Yes, it is the miss direction at this point, "“Each guest got $1 back: so now each guest only paid $29; bringing the total paid to $87." The total paid was $90. $90 - $3 for the refund = $87 - the $2 pocketed by the waiter = $85, the actual total of the bill. Reversed, $85 was the bill total + $3 refunded + $2 pocketed by the waiter = $90, the amount originally received by the waiter.

So who is up next?
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO