Workshop Tools Explained

Place your jokes in this section. A little naughty will be tolerated but please no really vulgar ones!!! If you might be offended it may be better to bypass this section!!!
Greynomad

Workshop Tools Explained

Post by Greynomad »

With much of the country's residents now having more home-time due to Covid-19,
I thought it would be an opportune time for some helpful guidance on home workshop tools.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: A device which attaches to your drill. Cleans paint off bolts then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in the time it takes you to say, "Oh, sh!t".

DROP SAW: A benchtop cutting tool used to make timbers too short.

PLIERS: Hand tool for rounding off bolt heads & nuts. Also helpful for creating blood blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric power tool used to convert minor touch-ups into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija Board principle. It transforms human energy into random motions, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VICE GRIPS: Generally used after the application of pliers (see above) to completely round off bolts & nuts. If alternatives are not at hand, they are also useful for transferring the intense heat of a welding job to your hand.

OXY TORCH: Used extensively to set fire to various flammable objects in your workshop which were precious/useful/under restoration. Also handy for igniting the grease in a wheel hub which was proving difficult to remove.

TABLE SAW: A large, stationary power tool used primarily to launch wood projectiles to test the strength of walls.

HYDRAULIC JACK: Portable tool used to unexpectedly lower a car to the floor after you have installed new brake pads, but before refitting the wheel, trapping the jack handle under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used to cut good sheet aluminium or woodpanelling into smaller pieces to more easily fit them into the bin after you cut inside the line rather than outside.

No need to thank me. I provide this information as a public service. :P
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Workshop Tools Explained

Post by T1 Terry »

You missed the Chinese tape measure that repeats a number part way along to make accurate measurement virtually impossible ..... unless the same tape is used to measure the piece you wish to cut to fit the spot ....
Note for the inexperienced, always add a bit, easier to trim it down than add the little bit you need cause you cut it too short.

The other handy tool is the profile jig. This handy item will duplicate the shape needed to neatly fit the piece you are cutting to match the spot where it is intended to be installed.... then you can lay it on the piece the wrong way around and make a perfect mirror image of the piece you actually needed .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thats nothing, I used to be called "spanner face" anyone know why? :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

Dot wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:12 pm Thats nothing, I used to be called "spanner face" anyone know why? :lol:
Ya had a good grip when ya took out your teef... :o :P :lol:

song for ya... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DECsBjNqHE

vik... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Dot wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:12 pm Thats nothing, I used to be called "spanner face" anyone know why? :lol:
Yeah..... SHIFTY!! Image

Runnin away...quickly!!
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Chuck wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:01 am
Yeah..... SHIFTY!! Image

Runnin away...quickly!!
Wrong :lol: It was because "every time he (my 1st husb) looked at me he said his nuts tightened up. :oops: :oops:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Dot wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:59 pm
Yeah..... SHIFTY!! Image

Runnin away...quickly!!
Wrong :lol: It was because "every time he (my 1st husb) looked at me he said his nuts tightened up. :oops: :oops:
Fear?
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

SteveW wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:31 pm
Dot wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:59 pm

Yeah..... SHIFTY!! Image

Runnin away...quickly!!
Fear?
Sounds about right... :lol:

vik... :twisted:
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)