Which car to flat tow?

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
SteveW

Re: Which car to flat tow?

Post by SteveW »

Coolabah1au wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:33 pm Luv at first sight perfect little car [emoji594][emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can vouch for that.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Off topic....wasn't Bagmaker looking for one of these ??
Its on f/book Tincan Bay .
Bernie .
Air Hitch $1200.00 0428775735 Kev

57155390_412527962907300_1276948795631861760_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:52 am
T1 Terry wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:08 pm Hitch 'n' Go say they have a kit available so the Jimny can be flat towed. Will have to look into that when we finally get Jim back. Looks like we won't have it to take to Stone The Crows this yr, or Taggerty, maybe next yr.
T1,
DO NOT flat-tow Jim!!
Handbook warns against it. There's no neutral in the transfer box.
You'll need a car-carrier trailer. We have a Tilta-trailer (still in use, otherwise I'd have included it in the deal). The lightest one weighs only 300kg, and is rated for 1500kg, way plenty of capacity for a 1000kg Jimny.
Gypsy trailers are also out: handbook says if towed, rear wheels must be off the road & steering lashed in dead-ahead position (nearly impossible!).
Hitch N Go have a kit out now for flat towing the Jimny, but I believe simply dropping the rear tailshaft and selecting 2WD works fine. To drive Jim you select 4WD and drive it as a front wheel drive.
Anyway, Jim is tucked in for the mth, protected in the workshop along with the Prius and the Kombi to keep it company. You realise just how big the spot is between the 2 mezzanine floor each end when you start parking multiple car size vehicles in there instead of motorhomes, 5th wheelers or caravans
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Yeah! Not much room for me to do my angle grinding, welding or much else!!!
Might have to get Wayne over to help clear some room? lol
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Coolabah1au

Post by Coolabah1au »

Was think of doing that any way just sitting around here doing nothing [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dot

Post by Dot »

G contacted H & Go re what cars can be flat towed, that was nearly 3 weeks ago. G rang them again last week and still they had no answers so stuff H & Go seems they have no idea of much at all...
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Hitch N Go have a kit out now for flat towing the Jimny, but I believe simply dropping the rear tailshaft and selecting 2WD works fine. To drive Jim you select 4WD and drive it as a front wheel drive.
T1,
What's the point of owning a 4WD if you disconnect the 2nd axle and end up with a 2WD? :shock:

...Might as well buy a cheapie from the bottom price range of any car manufacturer.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:20 pm
T1,
What's the point of owning a 4WD if you disconnect the 2nd axle and end up with a 2WD? :shock:

...Might as well buy a cheapie from the bottom price range of any car manufacturer.
The majority of the time the toad is used as a shopping trolley, not an off road vehicle. Just put the tailshaft back in when you need the 4WD bit, or use the quick coupling devices sold for this purpose where a press of a button reconnects the rear tail shaft.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,

You'll obviously be using Jim for a different mix than we did.
We did use him as a shopping trolley a fair bit, but at a rough guess the mix was 60/40 in favour of 4WD if kilometres travelled was the measure.
If time/days of use is the measure, the proportions would probably be 70/30 favouring 2WD.

Either way, T1, once you have Jim mobile again you really have a bargain on your hands. And good luck to you. I hope you have many years of enjoyment with him.

We're currently enjoying our (2WD) turbo Baleno. Never owned a performance vehicle before — unless you count my 1962 Mini 850 panel van with super-sticky artgum-rubber tyres :roll: — so we're having fun. Still tossing up if we keep it, or swap it for a (new) Jimny/Grand Vitara sometime next year.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Ray you should check out the weight/fuel consumption on the Grand/V compared to the straight V.
Then again a V isn't 4WD either but 5 l/hundred K's is good on the pocket!
I love it!
I hate it when picking up 12ft lengths of pipe tho!!! Grrrr!
Little trailer comes in handy!
BruceS
Mannum, SA