lookin about

Please introduce yourself here. Tell us a little about yourself but, please, no long conversations here.
brucar

lookin about

Post by brucar »

Well somehow I got here, me I'm a grey nomad along with the Mrs we are wandering around the great country of OZ very slowly. At present we are in Daintree Far North Queensland and will head of in about 2 months to the centre, counting the days to hitch up time. Just getting the van shipshape and the trusty old 4wd all spruced up. Back to the hot dry wide open spaces. talk along the way Cheers
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: lookin about

Post by T1 Terry »

Welcome to the forum. I guess the centre will be similar temp during the day but a lot colder at night than where you are now, at least it will be a tad drier ;) We moved to Mannum SA from the Wollongong area a few yrs back and although the thermometer says it's a lot warmer without the humidity it's much easier to handle.

T1 Terry & Margaret
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

Welcome to the forum Mr & Mrs Brucar, we are in Alice Springs at the moment heading Nth then turning at 3 ways heading anywhere. Enjoy your travels when you get going.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
GoinBush

Post by GoinBush »

G'day brucar, welcome to the forum. I live in the Centre and don't believe that 'hot days cool nights' hoohah, in summer it's 'hot days and just as hot nights' . We don't have 24 hr power so will be getting a little inverter so we can at least have a fan at night otherwise you just lie in a pool of sweat praying for a quick death :lol:
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---In my younger days --some 60 years back ---I remember we had a "Hession Bag Room" . The room was large enough for 10 people dimensions were approx 6 m x 6 m with hession walls on a cement floor. Water was trickled from a trough/pipe at the top of the area to keep the hession moist. There was a large electric fan, but we seldom used it as the room became quite cool.

I understand that you can buy extrawide rolls of hession material. A bit of No.8 fencing wirewhile at the top, centre, and at the base to drape the hession and sew to secure while the hession is dry.

You could try this on a smaller scale for very little cost; you don't need a concrete floor, dirt is just as good.
I hope that this gives you an incentive to build such a room, for both daily living area and place to sleep at nighttime when it is too hot to be inside.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
GoinBush

Post by GoinBush »

What a wonderful room that would have been Keith, lovely and cool. Just like a giant Coolgardie fridge. :D

My partner grew up out here with no power whatsover and they all slept outside on stretchers every night. It was still stinking hot but cooler than inside.

Fortunately here we have a 27kva generator that could charge up a battery during the day so we can have a fan or fans. Actually, our boss will probably say guys, it's 2017, run the generator longer! :lol: