Dunny Doo - I mean Door ;)

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Greynomad

Dunny Doo - I mean Door ;)

Post by Greynomad »

Thought you might like to see my first project with my new scroll-saw...
A free-hand effort for the Dunny Door, for the guidance of guests. ;)
Dunny2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BruceS on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Dunny Doo - I mean Door ;)

Post by T1 Terry »

Looks good but what does a scroll saw look like?
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Like an industrial sewing machine with a very long arm. Holds a 5~6" fret-saw blade and moves it up & down rapidly.
Kinda like the action of a power jigsaw, but holding both ends of the blade.
You hold the work to be cut (wood, perspex, ply, whatever - mine was 3mm MDF) on a platform which has the blade through the centre, and move the work around in much the same way women do with materials when sewing.
Google 'scroll saw' for it; you'll get 1,000,001 hits, I reckon. :P
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

It was easier to ask you :lol: How do you do the inside hole parts? or are they separate pieces assembled on the door? My latest interest has been 3D printers, you can make some amazing things with a good one of them..... if you can get the grand kids to program it :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

how quickly the world has changed.
NASA now only has to send up a heap of powdered metal and a 3D printer to fix any broken part.
Any! They are even printing jet engines.
I want one!!
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1 Terry wrote:It was easier to ask you :lol: How do you do the inside hole parts? or are they separate pieces assembled on the door? My latest interest has been 3D printers, you can make some amazing things with a good one of them..... if you can get the grand kids to program it :lol:
The dunny sign is a single piece.
The inside holes are done by drilling a small hole in the waste you're going to remove, and threading the blade through it.
You then attach both ends of the blade to the scroll saw, and fire it up (holding the work firmly on the table) cutting out to the line and following it around. That's how I separated the boards on the door.
As well as standard blades for long, straight/curved cuts, I also have a 0.5mm spiral blade, which can cut in any direction... makes cutting the tiniest, wierdest-shaped hole or detail (such as between the shoes) with ease. ;)
Elementary, my dear Watson!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

bagmaker wrote:how quickly the world has changed.
NASA now only has to send up a heap of powdered metal and a 3D printer to fix any broken part.
Any! They are even printing jet engines.
I want one!!
A 3D printer or a jet engine? :lol: Have you seen the new nozzles they have made for the big booster rockets, stuf that was not possible before the 3D printer came along.
The latest thing they are looking at is sending a bunch of these 3D printing robots to Mars to build habitats using filtered and sorted Martian soil as they dig out the crater to make the lower levels of the housing quarters and added stuff they take with them to bind it all together to make it air tight.
They are already making heart valves from stem cells and now nerve junctions and the latest is an ear drum but not sure if that has been successful or not. They actually make a full model of the heart or what ever they plan to work on using scans from the patient so they can practice the best entry techniques etc... in 12 hrs from start to finish, it took weeks before. They are looking at building cartilage material from the patients own body cells so they can insert it into a damaged joint, no more joint replacements, a whole new world is about to open up as far as the medical repair/replacement side goes.

T1 Terry
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote:
T1 Terry wrote:It was easier to ask you :lol: How do you do the inside hole parts? or are they separate pieces assembled on the door? My latest interest has been 3D printers, you can make some amazing things with a good one of them..... if you can get the grand kids to program it :lol:
The dunny sign is a single piece.
The inside holes are done by drilling a small hole in the waste you're going to remove, and threading the blade through it.
You then attach both ends of the blade to the scroll saw, and fire it up (holding the work firmly on the table) cutting out to the line and following it around. That's how I separated the boards on the door.
As well as standard blades for long, straight/curved cuts, I also have a 0.5mm spiral blade, which can cut in any direction... makes cutting the tiniest, wierdest-shaped hole or detail (such as between the shoes) with ease. ;)
Elementary, my dear Watson!
That was what I was wondering about, we do the same thing with hacksaw blades at the moment so that would make life a lot easier. The whole question these days is, do you cut something out of a sheet of material or just 3D print the bits you need in the shape you need. Wood might be a bit tricky though :lol:

T1 Terry
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Hmmm..........
Wooden ink.
Now THERE's a challenge for the boffins!
:D
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote:Hmmm..........
Wooden ink.
Now THERE's a challenge for the boffins!
:D
A bit like the woodcraft rods for welding up split timber :lol: