Domestic Air/Con - Evaporative or Refrigerated

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Lance

Domestic Air/Con - Evaporative or Refrigerated

Post by Lance »

This time of the year air conditioning becomes a rather hot topic. :)
Can we discuss the fores a,d againsts for the various types.
We have a roof mounted evaporative unit and I'm a little perplexed at some of the comments in another thread stating that these systems seem to pump moisture into the house and create high humidity.
We've never had that issue with our Brivis unit. Are we just lucky or is it the way we use it.
When it's on all possible windows and doors are open and we get a really cool breeze right through each room.
I have no idea of the operating costs and quite honestly I don't care all that much, comfort is worth the spend.

Why do others 'knock' the evaps, is there a big advantage with a refrigerated unit ?

Can we limit this to household domestic units rather than RV units please.
Last edited by Lance on Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lance & Annee
Looking for more Music Festival Dates in Victoria 8-)
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Domestic Air/Con - Evaporative or Refrigerated

Post by T1 Terry »

Refrigerated type air con works where the humidity is high just as well as it works where the humidity is low, the house is sealed up and all the air cooled and dried by removing the moisture from the air so that sticky feeling is eliminated.
Evaporative only works well in very dry heat and needs the whole house open to push the water laden air out so the heat is carried outside that the water has absorbed. Water can hold 3 times the heat energy of air, so simply pumping air in and out using a big fan would require 3 times as much air as an evaporative unit pumping water laden air. If the air is already full of heated water simply adding more water will result in that water condensing out on any cool surface.
Basically, refrigerated air con works after or while it's raining yet the temp is still high where evaporative cooling won't

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

Refridgerated uses a fair bit more energy
Dot

Post by Dot »

Before we built this place we had a combustion heater and an evap air con, we also opened all windows when the evap was on and so it worked well. Because we knew that we wouldn't have a ready supply of wood in the new house we opted for the convenience of the reverse air con and have found it so easy to control the temp in any weather with the push of a button, can pre set times for on /off and also can switch it to dehumidify if needed in weather such as today. Convenience is the main thing for us. I also think the location of where you live has a lot to do with the choice of air cons.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Riverlander

Post by Riverlander »

As I mentioned on my other post our evaporative is totally useless today. We had the water turned on early today and noticed condensation on the lino floors and the humidity was at 83%. Still love the evaporative for most of the summer but will always get a few humid days that a refrigerated is needed.Today would have to be the most uncomfortable day I can remember.
Cheers John
bob r

Post by bob r »

We have a evaporative one at Binnaway works great , Daughter has refrigerated one here at Mendooran it works great difference seems leave the doors and windows open or closed.

Bob
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Ours is refrigerated best thing about them is you can dial in the temp you want not relying on opening or closing windows .
We keep ours on 24degs . Which is bloody cold if ones been outside in near 40degs .
Bernie .
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Refrigerated by miles.