'Downsizing' from the Family Home

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Peter and Sandra

Re: 'Downsizing' from the Family Home

Post by Peter and Sandra »

Terry
Our last place in Sydney had a 30 x 15 in ground concrete pool and while it was great when the kids were small as time went on it was only the two of us that used it mostly, I worked out it cost us about $3 a day to maintain it and run the pump for the necessary hours, the Keepy Krawly kept it clean and depending on the amount of wind and hence leaves the filter basket got emptied usually once a week.
I wouldn't have a pool again but Sandy does miss it and we have a spa at Dungog.
As regards the building a workshop over it I think a similar problem exists with concrete pools in that they are prone to popping out of the ground when empty especially if there is rain while it is empty and if the water table was close you wouldn''t even think of emptying it.
Clearance for most of it would be a problem too as except for the deep end it was mostly less than 1200 deep.
Oka 4WD camper/motorhome, 1100w solar, 400ah lithium, diesel heating, HWS and cooking
Busman

Post by Busman »

We are in the middle of this. Come to the conclusion we don't need the 4 bed 4 bath house with his and hers home theaters so we are building on a block we have subdivided from our original. House will be smaller, and will have an eye on the future, don't like the idea of a "village" much until it is forced on one, we should be good for a few years yet. Home design is being finalised, my only issues at the moment is finding some sort of roof for the shed we will build for VP. With the 3Kw of solar and a big Lithium bank it makes sense to utilise that when we are at home. I was going to set up a seperate system but it is a bit pointless to have a barrow load of money sitting there while we are away.
So, I need to come up with a roof that will protect VP from the elements, but allow sunlight for the panels to work, and so far I have not come across anything.
Anyone got any ideas ? Garage is 20 mtrs x 5 mtrs. There are various retractable type rooves on the market, usually for resturant type operations so it may come down to something like that.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

Busman wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:00 pm We are in the middle of this. Come to the conclusion we don't need the 4 bed 4 bath house with his and hers home theaters so we are building on a block we have subdivided from our original. House will be smaller, and will have an eye on the future, don't like the idea of a "village" much until it is forced on one, we should be good for a few years yet. Home design is being finalised, my only issues at the moment is finding some sort of roof for the shed we will build for VP. With the 3Kw of solar and a big Lithium bank it makes sense to utilise that when we are at home. I was going to set up a seperate system but it is a bit pointless to have a barrow load of money sitting there while we are away.
So, I need to come up with a roof that will protect VP from the elements, but allow sunlight for the panels to work, and so far I have not come across anything.
Anyone got any ideas ? Garage is 20 mtrs x 5 mtrs. There are various retractable type rooves on the market, usually for resturant type operations so it may come down to something like that.
Vergola ...???

Vik...
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Personally I don't think that I would ever move into a village type complex, they just don't appeal to me but each to their own, many older folk obviously enjoy the lifestyle.
Shirley & Bruce.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Cruise ship living full time :D Do the sums, perfectly doable hmmmmmmm.
Would someone please put up a pic of their BIG lith battery packs.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Lance

Post by Lance »

I'm inclined to go along with Shirley.
I couldn't see us in a close knit environment like the village style of accommodation.
We've always lived on a corner block which gives us the feeling of little freedom. I doubt I would last long living close to a neighbour, no matter how nice they were.

We've bought another corner block in Gippsland with a good view and not too many neighbours. Bonus is that it's closer to the music community that we both enjoy.
Probably move down there in 12-18mths if I can get rid of some valuable 'stuff' in the garage and sheds.

Looking forward to that :D

We all have differing needs, social, family, health, work, interests and hobbies, plus many others I guess and we will all find the right way to make them all come together for the next stage.
This will be our second, and last house ;)
Lance & Annee
Looking for more Music Festival Dates in Victoria 8-)
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

I agree with Lannce's thinking re the need for space also our mob are always visiting, we enjoy spend time with them all, our house is way to big for us but we have no intention of ever down sizing.
Shirley & Bruce.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Peter and Sandra wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:46 pm Terry
Our last place in Sydney had a 30 x 15 in ground concrete pool and while it was great when the kids were small as time went on it was only the two of us that used it mostly, I worked out it cost us about $3 a day to maintain it and run the pump for the necessary hours, the Keepy Krawly kept it clean and depending on the amount of wind and hence leaves the filter basket got emptied usually once a week.
I wouldn't have a pool again but Sandy does miss it and we have a spa at Dungog.
As regards the building a workshop over it I think a similar problem exists with concrete pools in that they are prone to popping out of the ground when empty especially if there is rain while it is empty and if the water table was close you wouldn''t even think of emptying it.
Clearance for most of it would be a problem too as except for the deep end it was mostly less than 1200 deep.
:oops: Didn't think of that part, bugga. The electricery part wouldn't be an issue cause it could be solar powered, no idea of the cost for the salt water pools as far as chemicals go but the whole hazard part about the neighbours kids drowning in it would freak me out, so it would need to be an enclosed pool, then the whole area/cost thing goes up and cancels the whole thing out because it is no longer a multi-purpose/use area. A pool with heating for the winter is a great place to do exercises to recover from injuries and keep the joints strong to avoid arthritis setting in and taking over control of your life and right outside rather than travelling to the local pool would certainly be more likely to be used regularly.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Busman wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:00 pm We are in the middle of this. ... With the 3Kw of solar and a big Lithium bank it makes sense to utilise that when we are at home. I was going to set up a seperate system but it is a bit pointless to have a barrow load of money sitting there while we are away.
Busman,
You can buy a white, translucent corrugated roofing sheet, most common name is Alsynite, but there are other manufacturers.
We used it on a pergola on our Melb house. Cut the UV (heat) while allowing full light through.
Have not tried it over solar panels (maybe they need the UV) but have plans for a 'hayshed' type of structure for Girt -- just a roof on poles. Area over solars will be the white stuff, while the rest will be corrugated gal steel. Have already replaced ancient (and disintegrating) fibreglass on our ODLA in Rutherglen with the same stuff... brilliant!
Hope this helps... (Would have included a photo, but it's already dark. :( )
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Busman

Post by Busman »

Thanks Ray,
I had considered clear corro, but I wondered if the supporting structure of purlins and battens would shade the panels too much. Not an issue I am familiar with, we don't need to park in the shade with 7 awnings and 2 aircons but it is something I have heard about from others, if part of a panel is shaded the output from the whole panel is stuffed. We currently have a clear plastic greenhouse roof over VP on the farm where she was built and, while the output is down, still manages to pump in quite a bit during the middle of the day.
Maybe T1 will comment ?
William
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !