'Downsizing' from the Family Home

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Lance

'Downsizing' from the Family Home

Post by Lance »

As we all get a bit slower and medical issues seem to knock us about more I guess most of us put serious thought into 'downsizing.

We've been in our current house for close on 40yrs, since we were married.
The 2 kids have grown and moved out to set themselves up for their future and we now have the place to ourselves.
That's all good and fine but since we've found new hobbies and interests we've been looking at a relocation and a new lifestyle.
Making the decisions to make it happen can be a bit daunting but we'll keep kicking it about and I imagine we will make a move in the next coupla years.

How do you all look at this issue ?
Lance & Annee
Looking for more Music Festival Dates in Victoria 8-)
dream4red

Re: 'Downsizing' from the Family Home

Post by dream4red »

Did that about 12 years ago. Left Sydney and moved up to the Central Coast. Love the new home and town, BUT the kids look at that, as we moved away from them, we should be the ones to inconvenience ourselves to travel back to the city to visit them and the grandkids. They soon changed their minds when they wanted the kids entertained for school holidays... we have a beach/lake at the bottom of our garden.
Best thing we ever did. Make sure to join a few different groups to meet the neighbours. I would suggest that the whole family get the chance to visit the family home, take their treasures and photos, before you invite the realtors in. They might be more forgiving than our lot were.
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Continuing from Dot's post...
It's a matter of 'Horses for courses'.
We lived in Melbourne's outer fringe.
We built our house - to our design - in 1989. The children were 9 and 3 when we moved there. For 25 years we were happy. Although in 1994 I was diagnosed with cancer and not given long to live.
After a fairly traumatic year in hospital, things settled down - a bit.
Years went by and our two offspring moved out (both moved back temporarily before finally moving into their own homes.
We kept saying we'd like to move "up the Murray somewhere", but did nothing about it.
After my cancer diagnosis we I decided I'd like to see as much of Oz as possible before I dropped off the twig... which we expected within a year or three.
So we bought Girt, Jim & trailer, (over 2 years) then the GFC hit, and delayed SWMBO's retirement by 12 months so we could make back the super funds she had lost. We finally hit the road in 2010 and spent 3 years circumnavigating the block.
On our return, we realised just how much crowding had crept up on us in the 25 years we'd lived in our house. We had become accustomed to towns of 300~3000 while travelling, and a distinct lack of traffic lights.
We left a satellite town of about 120,00 (45,000 when we moved in), with 3 sets of lights to get to the freeway into Melbourne... which you could avoid altogether if you knew the back roads.We returned to a town pushing 200,000 and SEVEN sets of lights on each of the five routes out of town - including the 'back road'! :shock:
People were more rude & impatient than we remembered - especially behind the wheel - so we decided on an excursion "up the Murray" to find a retreat.
Almost by accident we came across a place in Rutherglen which was similar in layout and about the same vintage as our Melbourne place. It is on 1.25 acres compared with the 0.3 acres we had, but neighbours - while friendly to us "prospective buyers" - were far enough away to allow privacy if we wanted it.
We bought it on 2nd inspection next day.
Although the yard has been a major challenge initially, we are re-designing the "garden" (and I use the term loosely) to a more 'elderly-friendly' design for future years: proper garden beds = less mowing, low-maintenance plantings, a new watering system (original was non-functional & in the wrong places for our design). The garden is an on-going project.
We renovated the kitchen to remove an upright stove & cupboards, replacing them with a (no-stooping) wall oven & microwave at a height to suit women (not the taller men who design display home kitchens :roll: ). Drawers replaced cupboards to avoid stooping for stuff.
Next on the list will be the en-suite which is 'proper' bathroom-size. We have drawn up plans, with the input of the local hospital Occ Therapist's suggestions, which will include a 1.25m wide shower with no-step entrance to accommodate possible future wheelchair access or home-assistance carer.
Main bathroom will later receive same treatment, but that's a low priority.
While I can, I'm building a ramp for the front doorstep, as it is slightly higher than the standard 170mm riser. I already have a temporary one for the back door, which will be replaced once the front door one is installed.
With a local expert who will prune our roses annually for a very reasonable rate, and council-subsidized handyman service for pensioners (a Federal Govt initiative available to all pensioners Oz-wide), we have the future of the garden & up-a-ladder or heavy-lifting maintenance taken care of.
The house size, while much the same as our old 4-br one, is easier to manage with less carpet & more hard flooring - easier to vacuum.
We've had a concrete pad installed for the m/h. Already had 15A power handy. It's always in sight, so security is OK.
We have a couple of trustworthy house-sitters to call on for our trips away.
Neighbours also keep an eye on things if we're away for the day (we let them know).
The house is on a battle-axe block, and even people who have lived in Rutherglen 30+ years have been unaware of its existence, so we feel burglary in this low-crime area is not a worry. The insurance company agrees. Still, we have deadlocks. ;)
We did think of down-sizing to an Over-55s estate - until we looked into the financial arrangements.
We're happy with what we've bought, and after just 3 years here, we're like old-timers around town. Many of the shopkeepers know us by name, and people in the street still say 'Hi' to one another when they pass.
There's a lot to be said for moving to a small country town - especially within easy drive of a major hospital (Albury - 45km) and a local hospital (Corowa - 10km). It's actually quicker (by anything from 15 to 65 minutes) to drive the 45km to Albury than it was to drive the 32km to Royal Melbourne... and don't get me started on parking!
We're set up to remain here until we leave feet-first. :D
And I agree with Deb:
dream4red wrote:BUT the kids look at that, as we moved away from them, we should be the ones to inconvenience ourselves to travel back to the city to visit them and the grandkids.
dream4red wrote:Make sure to join a few different groups to meet the neighbours.
Sorry this is such a long rant. Needed to put it in perspective. :oops:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

I'm the opposite, have never lived in the one place for more than a few years until this place in Tas and lived in every state and territory. Been here on this property for nearly 20 years and will probably never move, unless it gets to crowded and doubt that will happen. I like a lot of space between me and others and our nearest neigbour is across the valley about 1klm, with the town the same distance, but with a big hill between. Plus our town has grown very little except at xmas and long weekends and then I never venture off the property, don't like crowds unless I'm playing in front of them.

My house is getting bigger, almost finished the extension and then will be building a big glass house on the nth side, got everything I need, just a bit slow because so many things come up that need attending to and when you head off most weekends to play music and over to Aus for a few weeks, things tend to build up. But love the life style and the quiet tranquility and beauty of the area.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

One of the best days of my life was when, with fanfare and celebration, I turned the lawn mower off for the final time!
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

SteveW wrote:One of the best days of my life was when, with fanfare and celebration, I turned the lawn mower off for the final time!
YUP.
That was one of the great things about being semi-permanently On The Road... if the grass got too long, we just moved on. :P

Now we have THREE mowers, battery (lightweight, for the tight cutting on our driveway roundabout), petrol (back yard: 1/4 acre) & ride-on (the rest)... plus a line-trimmer for the path edges.
Then there's the rose bug-spray, the seaweed-based fertiliser, the secateurs, the watering-hose repair kit, the spade & shovel, and... :roll:
Maybe we should get back OTR... ;)
Nah. I'd miss my lathe again. :(
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Greynomad wrote:
SteveW wrote:One of the best days of my life was when, with fanfare and celebration, I turned the lawn mower off for the final time!
YUP.
That was one of the great things about being semi-permanently On The Road... if the grass got too long, we just moved on. :P

Now we have THREE mowers, battery (lightweight, for the tight cutting on our driveway roundabout), petrol (back yard: 1/4 acre) & ride-on (the rest)... plus a line-trimmer for the path edges.
Then there's the rose bug-spray, the seaweed-based fertiliser, the secateurs, the watering-hose repair kit, the spade & shovel, and... :roll:
Maybe we should get back OTR... ;)
Have you established a procedure for not falling off the bus in future? Perhaps that could be a subject of its own topic! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve Williams

Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Yeah...
The Doc had Stern Words with me about that.
:D
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Greynomad wrote:Yeah...
The Doc had Stern Words with me about that.
:D
When you say Stern words; was he suggesting that you land on your padded backside rather than your hip? :)
Steve Williams

Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

He suggested that putting foot on top step then pulling on kitchen bench to get up puts too much strain on cancer-weakened bones.
I found that out for myself! :roll:
Also discovered that backside is not sufficiently padded to absorb such an impact.
Landing hurt a bluddy lot!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields