New roof...

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Dot

Re: New roof...

Post by Dot »

Our roof refirb cost $4000.00. Cleaned, replaced a couple of cracked tiles re pointed then the undercoat /sealant then the plastic paint (Dulux) was put on. I do believe it has also done what it is said to do and that is assist with the insulation properties..
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Thanks all for your very prompt & informative replies.

Yes, we did consider rejuvenating the existing tiles, but as the house & tiles - apart from the 20 or so I've replaced - is 45 years old I think they would really need replacing rather than tarting up.

The bloke coming tomorrow does both tiles & color bond so will see what sorta quote he gives for each. Must admit I do like the look of the color bond, especially the blue version. Guess if we go for that will have to paint the exterior timber areas accordingly.

Yesterday, when sticking my head into the roof space in an attempt to see if I could spot the leaking area - I couldn't - did notice that the silver sheeting under the tiles was torn & hanging loose on the side of the roof where all the leaks have occurred. Not sure when or how that happened. Depending on the quote will see if I can get them to replace the damaged sheeting & perhaps some more or upgrade the insulation.

Not real pretty up there at the moment.

Will advise when I know more.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Dot

Post by Dot »

remember to beat their quotes down :) :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Most contractors wont keep any of the old Sisalation (silver paper)..
Whether it's new tiles or new colourbond, they will rip it all off including the battons - they too are 45 years old...
I did most of my work in QLD so not sure what the regs are in NSW, but up there they had to strap the top plate down and screw every batton and strap all the edge battons down as well.
That's where a lot of the labour cost goes..

Cheers,
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

I had tiles and replaced with colour bond when we did the reno.

Tiles lift in wind and if your in a bush fire zone tiles are a bigger risk for ember attack. We love the rain sound.

Tin doesn't trap the heat in the material but tiles store the heat.

Tin is much more water proof until it rusts.

Our tin has faded (light colour) after 16 years but is still very intact.

Tin is much lighter and reduces pressures on stumps and walls.

It's expensive but I prefer it over tiles.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Chuck be careful using that blue colour one. After a very short time it looks terrible.
About the best one that retains it's colour well is the Green one. (bushland I think?)
BruceS
Mannum, SA

jon_d

Post by jon_d »

maybe a drive around and look at the older colours.
Peter and Sandra

Post by Peter and Sandra »

As part of the renos and additions we had the entire roof replaced (was iron before) including gutters, fascia's and insulation blanket. As we were doing it as owner builders we found it was much cheaper to order the roof, gutters, fascia's and blanket ourselves and get the roofing contractors to install it, over 30% cheaper actually. Took four blokes one day to remove the original roof and install the new one.
Also make sure that whatever is installed is Aussie made Bluescope steel as there are cheap imports available of far lesser quality.
Oka 4WD camper/motorhome, 1100w solar, 400ah lithium, diesel heating, HWS and cooking
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

If the roof structure is still good, replace the crook tiles and get all the mortar replaced that holds the capping on, not just a slop of stuff over the top. Next find a good roof painting mob who can give you references for jobs with 10 yrs or more weathering on them to prove they use good paint and put it on properly. We had the tile roof on the house in Lake Illawarra painted a few yrs before the neighbours had their roof painted, there was roughly $1,000 difference in the price and they considered we had been ripped off. When we sold the house the roof still looked as good as the day it was painted yet the neighbours definitely needed a repaint. We had additional wirly gigs fitted to the roof when the job was being done so they were painted at the same time. No roof insulation apart from the sarking under the tiles yet the house remained cool even though the roof was charcoal black while the neighbours fully insulated roof was rather warm in summer, the wind turbines made that much difference. There is also added value with a tiled roof, just the impression buyers gets adds value to the property, one of those hard to gauge things but it is definitely there.

T1 Terry

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Agree! Was one of the main deciding factors in our house selling to that particular buyer.
BruceS
Mannum, SA