Narrung ferry closed

General notices to members from Moderators & Administrators.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Narrung ferry closed

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:59 pm
The bit that messes with my head is electron flow is opposite to conventional current flow .... basically because the founding fathers got it wrong ..... Then lithium batteries came along and a cathode and anode are interchangeable terminology depending if the cell is charging or discharging and ...... Trying to give a simplified talk at a Stone The Crows get together just turns into a whole room full of glassy eyes people

Why bother. They are not there to get a masters degree, but some basic information to get lithium started on the lithium journey. Cast you mind back to a Taggerty meet and the questions we all asked back then.

Then, throw in some honest info about drop in and the advantages and disadvanges of having them; how to look for the differences and suitablity for your particular usage and how they still need some good capacity tracking. And then compare to doing your own install using Winstons or something else.

Plus add in the risk of buying out of China yourself vs buying locally.
If you want a bit of a T1 promotion, towards the end, add a little about how you fix the problems that even a 'drop in' won't fix.

You'd have a great 1 hour presso.
When I did the Workplace Training and Assessment Cert 4 the basic rule was to Keep It Simple .... then I started an Advanced diploma in Electrical and Computing Technology ,,,,,,, it seemed they didn't attend the Workplace Training and Assessment Cert 4 course :lol: I later discovered that none of them had that basic teaching degree yet it was a requirement to be a TAFE teacher ..... :?

I actually did a demo with 4 x 100Ah lithium batteries, side by side, all powering an inverter and a 2,000w load. I had a Victron BMV on the otput of each battery and put all 4 displays up on a screen .... the feed back i got afterwards from someone listening in on a happy hr chat .... one bloke said he clearly needed to get another two drop ins to go with the two he already had :roll: the rest said it was too complicated to understand but clearly 4 x 100Ah 12v batteries was the same as a 400Ah 12v battery ..... You can lead a head to knowledge, but you can't make it think ...... :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Who's on first, watts on second, can't remember the rest of the gag.
Joe Public doesn't need to know about conventional flow or electron flow. All they need to know is that you need a circuit. And then do the old pissing up the wall story, volts equals how high, current equals how much.
Your biggest problem is convincing the semi converted that it is not a good idea to parallel any type of battery but it is hard to demonstrate internal resistance of a charged battery without some expensive test gear.
Good luck.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

And the ferry is still operating unless any one would like to say otherwise.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
I gather from your post that lithium batteries are a bit like the mouth of a river, flow direction depends on the tides.
🤔🤔🤔🤔

David,
It’s an Abbott & Costello baseball routine:
Who’s on first, What’s on second, I Don’t Know is on third base… and it gets sillier from there. 😀
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Been thinking about doing a sales/demo tent thing rather than trying to do the seminars ..... Then time won't be an issue and I can do discharge demos on different drop in batteries and dismiss a few of the myths so many of these drop in sellers promote so they can sell batteries at an extremely exaggerated capacity ..... the 80% capacity myth, the reduced discharge and recharge capabilities myth and the batteries in parallel myth .....

Might even look atbuilding a few "drop in" systems to sell there on site .......
Have to find out from Chrissy what the costs are first though ......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO