What does the membership think?

General notices to members from Moderators & Administrators.

Lock threads that might get heated

Poll ended at Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:16 am

Yes, I don't want any controversy on this forum
6%
No, Some things need to be talked through
18%
Couldn't care less, I just stop reading a thread if I don't like the direction it is heading
67%
Who was supposed to bring the popcorn?
9%

Total votes: 33

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

What does the membership think?

Post by T1 Terry »

I'm no longer sure I've done the right thing by letting threads run their course, relying on the membership to hold back their "Online keyboard warrior" instincts and keep things at a discussion level where everyone can get along even if they have a different point of view.

There are no "Soapbox" topics or threads on this forum, so please try to avoid making statements but rather word them as "In my opinion" to at least soften the remained of the post.

I don't want to start locking threads that don't follow my opinions, I haven't so far (no, that wasn't me) everyone is entitled to an opinion and it doesn't just have to be mine ......

So, how do members of this forum feel about letting threads run their course,
or
should they be locked if they get the slightest bit outside the "Vanilla" window

T1 Terry (Very frazzled admin team leader)
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Keith Morris

Re: What does the membership think?

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---
My laptop computer is working again thanks to one of our mob.
I am happy to read anything while my eyes are working.

If I don't like what I read (or I go to sleep half way through reading) I just find another post that I like..
At age 83 (almost) I don't get upset too much, and if I do I can always take another pill.
YOU YOUNG ONES; SEE WHAT YOU HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO !!!
eith
k

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Keith Morris wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:36 am "tanks" here---
My laptop computer is working again thanks to one of our mob.
I am happy to read anything while my eyes are working.

If I don't like what I read (or I go to sleep half way through reading) I just find another post that I like..
At age 83 (almost) I don't get upset too much, and if I do I can always take another pill.
YOU YOUNG ONES; SEE WHAT YOU HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO !!!
Keith
But ya still gotta vote Keith, ya can't pull the age card on this one :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

With the "Membership Think" Survey, I'm between 2 points

"I don't want any controversy" and "Somethings need to be talked through".

I saw enough of the police-type actions on another forum, which in the end caused a split-off of 2 more forums, both of which I'm a member, like many here.
Thank Gawd there doesn't seem to be an "Admin Protecting a Protected Species" in this Forum and whilst we might not agree with some posters we, within reason, look at their posts and form our own conclusions.
So Controversy in moderation can be for the betterment of the subject and Talking Through, in moderation, does the same, but I do feel there's a grey area between both options.
Note I did write "In Moderation" which means Keep it nice and don't get personal.

Opinions are like ar###holes, everyone has one, and the end product is all different, depending on the input. :roll:

So I'll abstain from filling the survey, at least until I've had my brain and heart starting Morning Coffee that is.( which to me is like drinking from the Holy Grail.) :shock: ;)

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
Dot

Post by Dot »

I hate it when people start to get personal and rude to others just because they can't see anyone else's point of view. Maybe not lock the thread but "block" the over excited contributor for a day or so ??? And of course it wouldn't hurt for apologies to be given when needed.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
dapope

Post by dapope »

I think politics needs to be kept off the menu.
Having said that I don't think that the ongoing January 26 debate should be lumped in on that.
Its a fact that the majority of members here will have little to no connection with Aboriginal people. That doesn't mean we should dismiss those views that are expressed that may be contrary to our own. We should also be aware that some views held by non aboriginal are not factually correct, and arise around deliberate misinformation and prejudice. If we are to move on we need to be more curious about other viewpoints and open to change. A bit like the lithium.
To the mods, with power, comes the responsibility. You do pretty well here
Cheers
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

I think we should be able to debate any subject without becoming personal, we all have our own views & opinions on topics, like Tanks posted if you don't like it scroll on to another thread.
I don't know about most folk on this forum having little connection with Aboriginal people, I know we both have had a lot of connection with them over many, many years.
Shirley & Bruce.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Where there is an emotive issue and the true facts are not known, people are going to say things that can and will be misconstrued and others will take offence. Never assume you know what other people know on any subject be it politics, race etc.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:38 pm Where there is an emotive issue and the true facts are not known, people are going to say things that can and will be misconstrued and others will take offence. Never assume you know what other people know on any subject be it politics, race etc.
Hear, Hear. This all came about from attacks by members who didn't actually have any "skin in the race" (no pun intended) on a member who actually does have family on both sides of the debate.
As Dottie posted, never assume you know .... we all know the break down of what assume can be .... and I sure hope I'm not one ;)

T1 Terry
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

I'm torn between options 2 & 3, so I voted 4. :D
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields