Why??

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
Barboots

Re: Why??

Post by Barboots »

Stuck without an exploration vehicle? No thanks [emoji6]

I think a caravan works just fine at the shorter lengths, provided the design and loading is correct. Our 16 is pretty much unflappable. However it doesn't necessarily cost much extra to go quite a bit longer... though it certainly does cost more to match that longer van with an appropriately capable tow vehicle... be that in purchase price, maintenance cost or compromise elsewhere. Hence the fun starts and things fall over when the towing environment isn't ideal.

If you need big mobile accommodation it seems a fifth (or similar) on a light truck is the way to go... if a bus/MH arrangement doesn't suit.

I certainly believe an additional control is required regarding the pairing of long vans additional to the manufacturer's tow rating. There is absolutely no way this figure factors in the effects of sail area, potential tracking forces and other influences operating against the tow vehicle.

Cheers,
Steve
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Barboots wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:48 pm Stuck without an exploration vehicle? No thanks [emoji6]
We use electric mountain bike for exploring places, they are so good and have a range on one battery of 40klms and if you peddle a bit, much further. Have towed a 4x4 behind a bus, but when electric mountain bikes came along, ditched the car and haven't looked back. Have ridden from Wangaratta to Bright on the old rail line and back, which was a lovely ride and have ridden up mountain trails and tracks to get to some places you can't drive.
bikes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoinBush

Post by GoinBush »

Like this Steve...?

image1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoinBush

Post by GoinBush »

Isn't it an awesome set up? I could lose the boat though...
Barboots

Post by Barboots »

GoinBush wrote:Isn't it an awesome set up? I could lose the boat though...
For the big trip, that would simply rock [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]
GoinBush

Post by GoinBush »

I'm starting to lean toward something on a truck, more power, more towing ability. More cost :-(
Dot

Post by Dot »

Truck chassis = hard ride . If we had to give up the bus I would go for a Truelux 5th wheeler.(for quite a few reasons)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Barboots

Post by Barboots »

Dot wrote: If we had to give up the bus I would go for a Truelux 5th wheeler.(for quite a few reasons)
What would provide the drive Dot?
Barboots

Post by Barboots »

GoinBush wrote:I'm starting to lean toward something on a truck, more power, more towing ability. More cost :-(
Nahhhh... just hook up a stupendously long van to a light 4WD burning brightly with a remap, delete, exhaust, intercooler and the rest. She'll be right mate.
[emoji23]
I gather with the right tyres, springs and shocks... plus decent seating... small 4WD trucks can be made quite comfortable. I'd really enjoy the high viewpoint. The maintenance cost would possibly be offset by lower long-term depreciation. LVs which have spent a lot of time in the dirt take a serious hit.

Cheers,
Steve
Craig

Post by Craig »

I'm pretty sure 100 km hr limit for all towing vehicles through out Australia.
Full time on the road in an Alpine 2855