We really did say these words

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
pet-els

We really did say these words

Post by pet-els »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you remember that word? Would you believe the email spell checker did not recognize the word Murgatroyd?

Heavens to Mergatroyd!

Lost Words from our childhood: Words gone as fast as the buggy whip!

The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy and he looked at her quizzically and said "What the heck is a Jalopy?" He never heard of the word jalopy!! She knew she was old.... but not that old.

Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this.

About a month ago, I wrote down some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases included "Don't touch that dial," "Carbon copy," "You sound like a broken record" and "Hung out to dry."

Back in the olden days we had a lot of moxie. We'd put on our best bib and tucker to straighten up and fly right.

Heavens to Betsy! Gee whilikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy moley!

We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley, and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell?

Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes and pedal pushers and Saddle Stitched Pants

Oh, my aching back! Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.

We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, 'Well, I'll be 'A monkey's uncle!'

Or, This is a 'fine kettle of fish'! We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks! Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden nickels.

Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills.

We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeable times. For a child each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective memory.

It's one of the greatest advantages of aging.

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth..

See ya later, alligator!

Okey-dokey

WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FABULOUS 50'S..(or 30’s & 40”s)

NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY AGAIN...

WE WERE GIVEN ONE OF OUR MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS:

...........OUR MEMORIES........

PeterH
PeterH
Vik351

Re: We really did say these words

Post by Vik351 »

Went into the Maylands pub here in Adelaide the other day (it's changed hands a few times and wrecked a good old pub with no pokies) to see the new work...

The pretty young bar maid serving a young bloke says"Can I help you...???" :)

"Na, Just came in for a squizzie,aint bin ere for yonks" was my reply ;)

The look I got from both of them was... :o :shock: :?

vik... :(
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

"Bob's your uncle" has been updated to "Robert's your father's brother" if that is any help
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
homeless

Post by homeless »

And Mary's your Auntie.
In for a zacs worth was OK too, as well as a penny worth of lollies was good for a while.
Well best get the shanksers pony out and visit the mate and his ball and chain down the track for a snort of port and then tuck into me grub when I return like General Mac Carther.
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Peter I can't believe the words today that have become common place especially among the younger set that in the 30s, 40s & 50s where only used by men, we definitely have lived thru a changing period of time.

Catho club has been completely closed fenced off by council.
Shirley & Bruce.
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

Thanks Shirley, I guess I wont bother to renew my membership then. :( :( :(

PeterH
PeterH
Mrmac1

Post by Mrmac1 »

Peter
We (Lakelanders)were supposed to be there this weekend but closed by council because of asbestos

Darryl
Darryl & Annette McPherson
CMCA Member
Paradise Inspiration Lite Delux 11 Suzuki GV Towed
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Daryl the asbestos thing is only the excuse I heard, apparently the volunteers closed the club for a couple week R&R over Xmas, the council arrived fenced it off & locked them out :?
Catho club apparently still have a lease on the land.
The road past the cemetery into the beach has also been fenced off no access, although it was a pot hole ridden rough track,the surfers aren't happy.
Shirley & Bruce.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

A penny for your thoughts, Peter.
Remembered that one when I had to Spend A Penny. 😜
My dad frequently had to “Go and see a man about a dog”...
As I matured, I sometimes had to Point Percy at the Porcelain, or Shake hands with the wife’s best friend. 😎
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields