Lies, damned lies & dual cab utes ...

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Lies, damned lies & dual cab utes ...

Post by BruceS »

I'm not sure if it was only that or what but he's quietened down a bit!
At present we see ANOTHER cheat lead thread happening over there too........ again......
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Lance

Post by Lance »

With new members joining regularly it's not such a bad idea to have important topics rehashed.
Lots of newbies have never come across some of the topics discussed and they do need to be aware.
Lance & Annee
Looking for more Music Festival Dates in Victoria 8-)
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

He's in Spain at present.

PeterH
PeterH
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Lance wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:34 pm With new members joining regularly it's not such a bad idea to have important topics rehashed.
Lots of newbies have never come across some of the topics discussed and they do need to be aware.
Important as far as the armchair critics coming out in the droves damning a practice they don't have a clue what they are on about? Or do you mean the real dangers involved regarding using a 10 amp to 15 amp cheater lead and then drawing 15 amps or more when plugged into a house circuit that could already be near its limits? Then the question arises, why wasn't a circuit that couldn't handle a 16 amp load protected by a 16 amp circuit breaker? Yes, the practice does go against the Australian standards and therefore is illegal, but if all the proper standards were being followed then the danger is still limited to the RCD doing its job.
The real issue is using such a lead where the standards have not been followed, but who says the 15 amp power point the legal lead will plug into is actually installed according to the standards anyway?
Far better to use a current limiting device such as an Anphibian 10 amp to 15 amp RCD protection lead or similar device. That way an overload is unlikely to cause damage to leads, power points and house wiring. I've seen quite a few 15 amp plugs melted and some actually welded into the power point socket and these were in caravan parks where the standards are supposed to be rigidly enforced :roll:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Lance

Post by Lance »

Most of us are aware of the possible issues involved with cheater leads I think, and most of us keep those risks in mind.

I'm definitly no lecticity techno nerd so I won't be debating the technicalities, but my point was that there is a constant stream of newbies dragging vans around Oz and many of them have little idea of how to go about it safely.
Forums are one avenue to distribute info and it is up to the reader to work with that info.

Obviously a forum is not the definitive source for info, go to a qualified person for that info.
Lance & Annee
Looking for more Music Festival Dates in Victoria 8-)
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Lance wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:47 pm Most of us are aware of the possible issues involved with cheater leads I think, and most of us keep those risks in mind.

I'm definitly no lecticity techno nerd so I won't be debating the technicalities, but my point was that there is a constant stream of newbies dragging vans around Oz and many of them have little idea of how to go about it safely.
Forums are one avenue to distribute info and it is up to the reader to work with that info.

Obviously a forum is not the definitive source for info, go to a qualified person for that info.
Well worded Lance, I think I need lessons :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

Lance wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:47 pm Most of us are aware of the possible issues involved with cheater leads I think, and most of us keep those risks in mind.

WHAT TH......

You mean everything I read in some forums are not 100% the truth ? ?

Man ... in a few words you've destroyed my faith in the gurus that can quote vsbs ( ? ) and all the legal expertise that's so generously shared out.

I'm so devastated I'm going to have to take a happy pill and have a serious lie down. :lol:

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
2foot6

Post by 2foot6 »

Not everything you see or read on the internet is true.................signed Abraham Lincoln...