What a great race

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
Greynomad

Re: What a great race

Post by Greynomad »

So, how would they police picking standard production cars for the teams to enter into each yrs racing calendar?
T1,
It's called "scrutineering", and in the Good Olde Days the race results were not confirmed until all Class winners' & placegetters' cars underwent a complete strip-down to check against manufacturers' specifications.

So there! Hmmm? :?

(And if you're wondering, they're all plural possessives, so the apostrophes are in the correct places.)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

And when the scrutineering was first done nothing and no one was able to touch that car.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

And if I remember correctly*, the scrutineers sealed the carbies & other bits... ;)

*Sometimes that's a gamble!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

There is a lot that can be done to an engine and it still remain within the manufacturers specifications. That is what blueprinting is, removing all those mass production tolerances and bringing the engine back to the drawing board specifications. Then you can add reconditioning to within the manufacturers design limits, the old HP Holden red motor block starting life as a 179 and ending up as 212 but still within manufacturing specs. The Datsun 1600 becoming a 2.2 ltr, the Celica 18R engine becoming an 18RGU as in Peter Williamson's Celica that placed outright in the whole field, not just in class.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

The days when win on Sunday - sell on Monday are long gone, and we are the worse for it.
Yes Supercars can be exiting, but they are totally irrelivent today.
Bathurst in the 60's and early 70's was relevent - even if some cheated...
The only racing since, that was in the same theme was the Bathurs 12 hour from 91 to 94.
And lots of factory teams took part - Holden, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Peugeot, Citroen etc.
No exotics were allowed to enter.
Completely stock everything, even tyres (though most buffed them)
Only mod from stock was a roll cage.
Do you remember Brock in the Pug?
Have seen a clip of him following a Citroen - he couldn't believe how much faster the BX16V was than the 205 across the top of the mountain.

That's is the sort of racing I would like to see again, not necessarily 12 hours though.
There are lots of non exotics these days that are worth seeing on a track.
And I reckon Manufacturers would come back.
I would like to see the classes based on price, and a price limit as to cars that could enter.
Perhaps an SUV class would be interesting. Be fun to watch them roll over from the slightest touch...

Cheers,
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Maybe a production 8 hr race on the long weekend that the original Bathurst 500/1000 was held. Then the Supercars can race the next week end and the fans would get 2 weeks of motor racing.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

maybe just ban all driver/pit communications, except boards on the straight
Dot

Post by Dot »

bagmaker wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:47 pm maybe just ban all driver/pit communications, except boards on the straight
I was the board girl for Maurie Quincey (my prev husb was his mechanic)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Couldn't see you "bored" Dot ......
Bernie .
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

It looks to me that all of us old farts are living in the good old days. When it was fun and you could massage the rules a bit. Bring it back and they will get my vote. We could even use some new tech stuff and cheat better.😃
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.