Slide On versus Campervan

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Slide On versus Campervan

Post by BruceS »

I reckon you need a vehicle like Norman's bread delivery van! (sorry Norman!)
If you're going to use it as your regular vehicle for work/shopping, I doubt you'd want a Coaster or Civilian? (size)
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Janette

Post by Janette »

I would need to get the Hiace converted professionally to justify a pop-top cost of about $6000. My DIY conversion is a bit rough and cost very little apart from fridge, batteries etc. Couldn't leave a dog in it not even in mildly warm weather besides a bit more comfort would be good. I can't even sit on the bed comfortably because of the height of the bed. I have to live beside in rather than in it which is ok in good weather, not in bad.

A bus would be too big and I really need an auto.

Thanks for your replies.
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
Peter and Sandra

Post by Peter and Sandra »

We've got both (on different continents) and much prefer the "van" to the slideon.
In the Oka we can camp discreetly pretty much anywhere as neither the poptop or slideout need to be used to actually sleep on the bed. We can also access the drivers seat from inside.
In the slideon which also has a poptop the top has to be up to use the bed as it is over the cab of the ute. Which brings me to the biggest factor against slideon's in Oz and that is that to have the same sort of space as a van you need a large slideon which in turn needs a large ute like an F250, Chev or Dodge ute to carry it. They are all pretty expensive in Oz too.
Landcruisers and all the smaller utes cannot carry a decent size slideon.
Oka 4WD camper/motorhome, 1100w solar, 400ah lithium, diesel heating, HWS and cooking
Janette

Post by Janette »

Thanks everyone, I've pretty much decided on a van. Now to decide Fiat, Transit, Mercedes, Renault or Iveco.
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
Dot

Post by Dot »

After the joys of Norman's Iveco (parts) I would be going with the Merc, had that in our Winnie and no complaints :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Post by norman »

Im biased to the Iveco.they are much more rugged than the others as they have a full ladder chassis, run on the smell of an oily rag,Really good head room and another good thing is REAR wheel drive...
Iveco pics 007 (Large).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here----I am with you Norman, go for an Iveco. [9 lts per 100 km, drives like a car, comfortable driving position].

I will be converting a 2005 lwb/hi-roof 3 litre turbo diesel motor when I get back to WA.
The Iveco was used by my foster son as a courier vehicle and has 640,000km on the clock with minimum problems.
the 2005 has dual wheels on the rear which gives a larger payload.
The 2006 year model which he now uses has single wheels [less rubber to wear out] and a 2.3 ltr turbo---still 9 lts/100km but he drives it like a bat out of hell. The 2006 is a smaller motor; but just as good as the 2005 model. Same payload space 17 cuFt, lwb, hi-roof.
BOTH VEHICLES ARE MANUAL GEAR CHANGE, but once in top gear it just keeps going with minimum gear change thanks to the Turbo thingo. Get it into top gear, set the Cruise Control at 90 km/hr, don't go to sleep, and enjoy the drive. The occasional stop for Ice Cream makes the drive a dream.

The service and parts are costly if you use the distributor in WA. Blacks in Brisbane are reasonable and helpful.
It pays to search around for any parts [filters etc] even e-bay from UK with postage costs are a lot less than local purchase----just leave a few weeks postage.
Norman has had a few problems with his vehicle but he still likes the Iveco.
I have a Mercedes Sprinter at the moment, but I won't go that way again -
IVECO FOR ME !!
Check the vehicle out before you decide--don't buy a lemon, and keep us informed on what you decide.
Keith

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Does the Iveco have the 100,000 timing belt change requirement?
Or does it have a chain one?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Post by norman »

BruceS wrote:Does the Iveco have the 100,000 timing belt change requirement?
Or does it have a chain one?
Hand book says 90.000kms Bruce
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

OK, so rubber belt. Do not ever go past that KM's that they suggest.
Pistons & valves don't like each other!!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA