Slide On versus Campervan

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Slide On versus Campervan

Post by T1 Terry »

Janette wrote:Thanks Terry, would prefer a Toyota but the buses are too big and very difficult to find an auto.
Ah yes, the automatic transmission would be a difficult thing to find in an ex passenger bus vehicle. Peter (Pet-els) recently bought an Iveco brand new with an auto shift trans, magic to drive, his was a cab/chassis as he will have a tray and turntable fitted to suit the replacement 5th wheeler he is picking up. The new auto trans are great, the older style no matter what the make were not near as strong unless you bought something with an Alison transmission as they are purpose built truck transmissions, not car transmissions trying to drag around a light truck.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

My 78 Bedford bus has a 4 speed Allison auto transmission coupled to a 6bd1t Isuzu and is great to drive, much better than the Volvo we had which had a 16 speed road ranger. Main difference is the Volvo sat on 120kph but could run at 160kph and was built for off the bitumen and the Bedford sits on 80-90kph, up hill as well, but struggles to go much faster than that. It;s a mid mount engine so has a low clearance, been thinking of adding air bags to lift it up when travelling over rough terrain, instead of going very slow and waiting for the low bar under the front of the bus to make contact with a rock or bump.

Lots if school buses that have changed engines have Allison auto's and are cheap, especially in Tas. You can pick up a really good one registered for between $4000-$6000, some have already been cleaned out and ready for fit out.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Lots of abandoned projects can be found on evil bay and gumtree as well at real good prices, just need to find something that fits the size and budget and ability to finish the project.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Janette

Post by Janette »

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your suggestions. Very few if any think a slide on is a good option, for good reason I guess.
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
Lance

Post by Lance »

Gooday Janette.
We downgraded from a 16' Jayco to a home built Teardrop camper and loved the experiences offered by not towing a big van.
Yep, the TD had to be towed but is an easy tow.
That said, there were places we didn't want to tow anything so we ended up with a high roof SLWB Hiace campervan and we're loving it.
Plenty of flow thru air and high mount windows to keep the pooches happy and comfortable.
We do still use both if we need that extra space for 'stuff'.
DSCI2571.JPG
Personally I wouldn't entertain the idea of a slide-on, particularly if you intend doing a bit of off-road work.
Their high centre of gravity scares me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lance & Annee
Looking for more Music Festival Dates in Victoria 8-)
dapope

Post by dapope »

What about some of the smaller motorhomes on the toyota hilux. Or, some of the smaller sprinter or iveco conversions
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
Janette

Post by Janette »

Hi Lance,
I have a teardrop and a Hiace but don't like not being able to get out of the weather with the teardrop and the Hiace doesn't have enough room to do anything but sit on the bed. The teardrop tows like a dream.

Hi Dapope,
To get an auto diesel in the Hilux MHs, you have to buy new or near new, Some still have a high centre of gravity and very poor payload unless you have the GVM raised. I have been looking very closely at them.

Problem is I have looked at the options very diligently and the pitfalls. I'm looking for something quirky I think but with a shower, toilet and ability to stand up. Thanks guys.
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

don't forget the Isuzu elfs

something like this:
http://www.motorhomesoz.com.au/motorhom ... torhome-68
Janette

Post by Janette »

Hi Jon,
Do you reckon they are ok? Right size for sure! I thought the engines might be fairly slow.
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
dapope

Post by dapope »

That looks similar to our old npr250, better finished, at least externally. It would wind up to 110, but took a while. We nearly kept ours and remodelled, but decided not in the end. The isuzu motors are pretty rugged.edit.. the insides well laid out and way better finished than our old one.
That also looks better built than the old winnebago stuff..I believe they are imported 2nd hand from Japan, but doubt there would be much different in the mechanicals..plenty of npr 250s still around.
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..