What did you do to your rig today?

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
supersparky

Re: What did you do to your rig today?

Post by supersparky »

T1 Terry wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:17 pm
supersparky wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:17 pm I have spent most of the afternoon cleaning the roof on the Winny. EPDM rubber I think the covering is called. That was the most fun I have had for ages. That stuff is really slippery when it gets wet. A couple of times I thought I was going over the edge.
Does anyone have a tip for how to safely tie-off while working on the roof. It would be easy if there was something higher than the Winny to secure to, but I don't think the shrubs in the garden will support much weight.
Did you apply the new seal coat after cleaning it David? The amount of white powder that comes off from the rubber membrane oxidising ya gotta wonder just how long it would last constantly exposed to the harsh Aust sun. Probably not an issue in the USA or Europe, but we got tough sunlight over 'er :lol:
I've cleaned the spots where I had to reseal stuff on Vik's roof, but I'll leave the rest for Vik to do, just in case I wash right through the air bubbles and create a water leak :twisted:
They actually have a patch repair kit on evil bay that works quite well. I poured a heap of the Dicor self levelling stuff under the patch we had to do on Cathy Ashton's roof. The original solar installer had used some sort of glue that reacted badly with the rubber roof when they screwed down the junction box. I added the Dicor in an attempt to seal the holes they had made with the self tapping screws and to get the rubber around the patch area to attach back to the roof. Took a few days to harden up under the patch, but the end result was very good.

T1 Terry
I have the correct Dicor products, both cleaner and UV protectant, which will be applied soon. I was just giving the roof a pre-clean cleandown first and became a little alarmed at how slippery the EPDM gets when wet. After I nearly went off the edge the second time, I decided that there must be a safe way to do this.
I want to get this done before summer as by the looks of it, the roof has never been properly cleaned or re-treated before.
I have a safety harness and all the right gear except for a suitable tie-off point. I know that some of the bigger dealers and repairers have a platform type gantry that they bring alongside the bigger rigs, but I have no access to anything that high.
I'm thinking about sucking up to the boss and seeing IF i could bring it in to work one weekend and work on it under the big carport. At least then I would be able to secure myself to something higher than the level I would be working on.

Another dumb Winnebago question. How do you work out where there is anything substantial under the EPDM, it all feels the same. I know there is a wooden frame under the sheeting , but don't know how to guess where to mount more solar framework. The stud finder gives the same result everywhere I check.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

You can borrow these Dave ,
Bernie .
9 metre bus 030 (Custom).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Gman readjusted a cupboard door that was a bit hard to open, sprayed the runners in the linen cupboard, and put a nice new hook up for the basin hand towel. woo hoo. Just little things but they all add up. :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Bruce still fitting the new grey water tank, bigger job than it looked, been raining which held the installation up & he's not as young as he use to be & laying under the bus working is a hard task :)
Shirley & Bruce.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

BernieQ wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:47 pm You can borrow these Dave ,
Bernie .
Thanks for the offer Bernie, but I need to get onto the top of the roof, not just work at it from the sides. When I do it I want to put on a bit more solar as well.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Another dumb Winnebago question. How do you work out where there is anything substantial under the EPDM, it all feels the same. I know there is a wooden frame under the sheeting , but don't know how to guess where to mount more solar framework. The stud finder gives the same result everywhere I check.
Simple answer, there is nothing substantial under the ply roof sheet. It is glued to the polystyrene that is glued to the aluminium sheet that the ceiling decorative film is attached to, nothing else. There are bearers holding the two sides apart but they don't come close to the roof ply. That ply is about 3mm thick, so you are actually walking on a thin layer over a big block of polystyrene.
The only parts strong enough to support weight and strong enough to stop the wind ripping it off the roof is a 40mm square aluminium section up each side of the roof running from front to back. Just about all the wiring runs through this square tube so be careful how long the screws are you attach the framework with ;)
This is how you put solar on a Winnie/Avida viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5793 the first few posts show the make up of the roof and a few later the frame that needs to be manufactured to mount them.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
mottleemob

Post by mottleemob »

Took the van to Regency Park for ID check to register in SA
cheers Phil
:mrgreen:
Phil,Ann and Mia the spoilt dog
Wanna be grey nomads from SA
Its a Jayco and we love it
R I P Bonnie
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Hi Phil wantis the IDcheck you had to do? Cheers
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Phil it would have been much more painless if you did it at Gawler I believe?
Here in Mannum we can just get it done by the local cop shop.
https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving-an ... ion-tier-2
BruceS
Mannum, SA

BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I took the motorhome to Maryborough Qld for its annual heavy vehicle inspection .
Done for another year
Bernie