What did you do to your rig today?

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Grandad

Re: What did you do to your rig today?

Post by Grandad »

native pepper wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:49 pm Jim, I know you've purchased your paint, but if you are going to do more painting, have you thought of using Dulux epoxy anti-rust paint. I used it on the roof of my truck after many attempts to stop it leaking and this paint finally did it as it is extremely waterproof. I'm going to paint my bus with it, if I can get the right tint I want.
No, I didn't consider that because I wasn't aware of it. I did a quick search and it appears to be a two-pack thing. I wanted to use a specific auto colour but discovered it was only available in two-pack so had to give that idea away. My understanding is that two-pack is unsuitable for DIY because of the need for very specific breathing apparatus and a proper spray booth.
Can you tell me more about the Dulux product please?
Bear in mind, I'm spraying in my suburban back yard. No booth.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

I used rust guard full gloss epoxy on the bus. Any colour can be mixed at the paint shop. Just sprayed. Need to give it a good drying time to allow it to set and gloss up.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Jim, it's called "Dulux metal shield epoxy enamel" and is a single coat application which can be sprayed or brushed on and doesn't require a primer. I got it at Bunnings which is sad because Bunnings has sent all our locally owned hardware stores broke and I hate the monopolisation of our retail lives.
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

You'll get a nice gloss off the gun using enamel, however it will require polishing regularly down the track.
My suggestion is that you get some 'enamel add' - it works a lot like 2 pack in that it adds a hardener to the paint.
You still get a good gloss and it will last really well.
It probably has different names and brands now, been quite a while since I used it.

My experience with that 'metal shield' hasn't been that great, didn't wear well and goes dull quickly.
I do use it to treat metal where it's not exposed to weather, but not on exterior surfaces.
It's only benefit for me is it doesn't need a primer on bare steel.

Just on a side note, modern water based 2 pack paints are a lot better environmentally speaking, but quite expensive.
Also don't forget to wear PPE whatever you are spraying.

Cheers,
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
Toolman

Post by Toolman »

The paint that NP is talking about is a very good paint and very easy to get a good finish with, I have used a lot of the black with great success :D
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

Grandad wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:15 am
native pepper wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:49 pm Jim, I know you've purchased your paint, but if you are going to do more painting, have you thought of using Dulux epoxy anti-rust paint. I used it on the roof of my truck after many attempts to stop it leaking and this paint finally did it as it is extremely waterproof. I'm going to paint my bus with it, if I can get the right tint I want.
No, I didn't consider that because I wasn't aware of it. I did a quick search and it appears to be a two-pack thing. I wanted to use a specific auto colour but discovered it was only available in two-pack so had to give that idea away. My understanding is that two-pack is unsuitable for DIY because of the need for very specific breathing apparatus and a proper spray booth.
Can you tell me more about the Dulux product please?
Bear in mind, I'm spraying in my suburban back yard. No booth.

Jim
If you contact Dulux they will send all the info out to you.

PeterH
PeterH
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Not working on the rig today but will be replacing the radiator in my son's (Sean) car, wish me luck.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Just don't climb under the car. We all know what happens when you climb somewhere.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

Newcastle George wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:58 am Not working on the rig today but will be replacing the radiator in my son's (Sean) car, wish me luck.

George
"tanks" here---George,
Time to knock off, get a coffee, and read a book. Were they delivered yet ?.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Yes Keith, they arrived and I meant to call you but have been busy reading a book regarding the Chamberlain dingo case from their solicitor's perspective. Thank you.

The front of the car is supported by stands.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor