Trailer Shockies and more

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Kappy

Trailer Shockies and more

Post by Kappy »

Hi
After my trip to Port Hedland to collect my trailer and experiencing some unexpected issues with hubs/wheel etc.

I have decided to make a few changes to the rig and trailer

Just thought I'd update, new hubs installed and trailer returned home.

With all this happening I thought it a good idea do the other wheel bearing, acquired some newer rims and new 12 ply tyres.

Discovered the brakes shoes could do with replacing so they're on the way.

Now some guidance for what may seem lame ???

I plan to install shockies to the trailer and my research has revealed several schools of thought, some have the shocks attached to the fishplate and to body leaning towards the rear, another is attached to axle in the same way and both attached to the body near the leaning towards ex other and another has the them leaning forward.

I discovered the Suburban gas heater is a pain in the A---- and I plan to replace with a Rinnai instantaneous, my ??? is I wish to relocate and the ideal place is about 20cm from the fuel tank, is there any laws regarding this as I plane to have heat shield barriers.

My 240/12 volt al cheapo freezer works great on 240 however was sending alarms on 12V, works alright on on 12V in other source, so appears maybe voltage issue even thought source on bus indicates 12 volts. So maybe a dedicated 12V source.

Have started gutting the 3 shitty bunks and make 1 supremo bunk with more storage.

I plan to install a roof mounted domestic cassette style A/C ( I keep hearing that roof mounted dometic style are quite inefficient.)however the compressor for these are quite large and I really have limited space under the bus, Has anyone installed a compressor on the back of their rig near back window which is back wall of bedroom is an invertor compressor located there gonna be a noise issue? and/or do these compressors need to be vertical???

Lastly Iv'e inquired about a manual of some sorts for my OH1418, I downloaded a suggested one via google and it turned out be a nightmare so any suggestions very grateful.

Thanks
Cheers

Kappy

Growing older is inevitable, growing up is optional.
Jon and Kay

Re: Trailer Shockies and more

Post by Jon and Kay »

is an invertor compressor located there gonna be a noise issue?
No noise or vibration from mine at all. I've seem many mounted to the rear of motorhomes and caravans.
Jon
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Shockers on trailers? There will be many different opinions on this one.
If it already has a rocker equalizing setup it is already taking SOME of the punch out of the suspension when hitting any big object at speed.
A spring maker explained to me that after he looked at hundreds of broken springs that most of them broke on the return bounce rather than the upwards initial shock. (make sure you use dual acting ones)
Air adjustable ones are good but a lot more expensive. Wylie Monroe used to make the best ones when Bill Monroe still owned the company.
A single axle trailer has MUCH more reason for shockies as there is no facility for any give & take.
I'd think a slight leaning back if anything because as the springs flatten the axle moves back slightly.
I'd be inclined to place a foot long reinforcing along the chassis & then mount the shockie to the centre of that simply to spread the punch a bit.
A quick look under a few 1 tonner Land Cruisers etc will give you ideas.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Whether they lean back, forward or across the vehicle isn't that critical, it is so the travel length of the shockie is within its normal range, no bottoming out or topping out if the wheel leaves the ground, although the last one is sometimes used to limit total travel if the spring would actually start to deform in the opposite direction to the normally loaded shape causing the leaves to separate.
Rally cars used 90/10 shockies yrs back, no idea what the formula is now, 90% on compression , 10% on return. The drag race boys reversed the valving for use in the front shocks, they rise up quickly on launch but slow to drop back down, that way the weight is transferred to the rear wheels
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO