New drone landing area.

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Dot

Re: New drone landing area.

Post by Dot »

We sold our Winnie some years back, when it drove away she had 4 solar panels on the roof. Some months later we had a call from the buyer asking if there were solar panels on when we sold it :roll: :roll: Apparently he had left the rig on the street and never checked on anything at all for ages, when he did yup the panels had gone . :roll:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Panels have reduced in price over the years, they were so expensive when we fitted them to our yacht, Bruce made sure that they wouldn't be easy to remove, we kept it at a Marina back in those days, think less are stolen today.
Shirley & Bruce.
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

8D2446A6-5489-4A6C-BBC5-9ED70B9A1ACC.jpeg
Bit hard 10 feet of the ground 🤔🚌🚌🙏
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Cuppa wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:58 am
Dot wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:00 am I think they get knocked off a bit, by that I mean stolen, easier to snip wires off the lower vehicle. Everything is fair game these days.
I've been hearing about people's fears of 'loose/portable' panels being stolen for years Dot, but have never once heard of a first hand account of it happening .... not to say it hasn't happened now & then. Have certainly never heard of fixed panels being pinched.

If anyone wanted to steal ours off the car roof, good luck to 'em it would be far from easy!
Brian (homeless) can give you a first hand account. They got away with one but the other was too heavy to run and carry with a rather angry Brain giving chase, so the dropped it at the intersection and ran like startled rabbits across the football fields. After that we added the stainless steel cables with loop fittings each end and a bunch of keyed the same locks that anchored the panels to the front of the Hino. A cable through each hinged portable panel all going back to the cable loop threaded along the 6B&S 10mtr cable run back to the external Anderson plug. We think there might have been a few attempts until they discovered grabbing the panels closest to the escape route ended up with all the other panels tagging along behind, so they just dropped it and ran.

You can only protect against the opportunity thief, if they are well enough equipped they can get anything. With second hand panels so cheap on evilbay and the likes there is no market to on sell them so the organised thief looks for something more valuable, like a Honda 2.0 or similar chained to a tree. There are a few stories doing the rounds about elaborate theft scenarios.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

"like a Honda 2.0 or similar chained to a tree".
Terry maaaate ,why would they try to steal a tree that's chained up :lol: :mrgreen:
Bernie .
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

BernieQ2 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:44 pm "like a Honda 2.0 or similar chained to a tree".
Terry maaaate ,why would they try to steal a tree that's chained up :lol: :mrgreen:
Bernie .
One of the left of centre thefts I've seen was a /5 BMW & side nick named the "Bumble Bee" chained with real heavy duty chain to parking sign outside the pub. After the evenings festivities, all the BMW club members head outside and sure enough, the pole has been cut down and the bike and side car was never seen again. A pub full of people, a busy street in the outer Sydney suburbs, but no one saw or even questioned someone cutting a parking sign down.

I guess we have all heard the tale about the bloke who placed his Honda generator beside the tree with a suitable chain to stop it walking away. Another camper set his open frame noise and smoke maker in the same area and it ran 24/7. The block with Honda did notice the TV blink out at one stage and he was about to go and check if his generator had run out of fuel, but the tv came back on and he didn't give it another thought ..... well, until the noisy generator spluttered and die and all his lights and tv shut down. A trip with the torch and sure enough, his extension cord is plugged into the noise maker and there is no sign of his nice new Honda ......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO