Bernie's lithium battery .

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
BernieQ2

Bernie's lithium battery .

Post by BernieQ2 »

Hi everyone ...me again... :D
We have just returned from a week away first to Moura (2 days) then to Chain Lagoon (4 days) Its just north of Taroom .
As we now have two systems running in the Van, one the original was on the van when we bought it , it comprises of one 110amp AGM battery (age unknown) running from a roll out blanket type solar panel "glued" to the roof (size unknown) through a normal solar controller . Running off this is the water pump,SAT TV all the 12v lighting and the diesel heater, we watched about one and a half hours of TV each evening , and run the deisel heater each morning for about 4/5 hours
The temps got down to zero on three occasions . :evil: :twisted:

The other system is the Vicron 100amp lithium battery and Victron 100/30 MPPT solar controller .There is one 250w panel mounted to the roof of the van I also have another 250w panel mounted on the roof of the Jeep , with Anderson plugs to attach to the van when I can .
This system has only one function that is to power the 240v fridge via a 600w converter .

The camp at Moura was not solar friendly to much shade but did manage to keep things running , the camp at Chain Lagoon was a bit better once the sun rose above the trees on the eastern side we had full son till about 3.30 in the afternoon then we were in partial shade for the rest of the day . Because we done a few scouting trips the car was only connected on two full days .
Now I'll try and do a summary of the solar input . Monday we arrived at Moura I had 300whs in and the lowest over night was 13.14v
Tuesday 400whs in and lowest was 12.99v
Wednesday 570whs in and down to 12.89 v
Thursday 730whs in and down to 12.91v
Friday 870whs in (car attached) down to 12.99v
Saturday 630whs in (car mostly attached) down to 13.06v
and Sunday 310whs in (we had cloud most of the way home) down to 13.03v
All these are from the Bluetooth thingy from the solar controller to my phone .

Now you can pick me apart :roll: :roll: :lol:
Bernie .
Peter and Sandra

Re: Bernie's lithium battery .

Post by Peter and Sandra »

Bernie I would put more solar up if you can, this time of year as we know the sun is too low for proper exposure and the shorter days down't help.
We have 1100w on the roof and a 400ah lith battery (Winston) and as we are further south solar is worse and after a week of poor solar we need to head much farther north, decrease usage, find a site with better exposure or head much farther north ;-)).
Remember though that the lithiums don't care about being fully charged and the way we are using them and rarely reaching 100% SOC would eventually kill LA's
Oka 4WD camper/motorhome, 1100w solar, 400ah lithium, diesel heating, HWS and cooking
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Sounds like you have a good match between usage and battery capacity. Maybe a portable solar panel for the shaded areas or where you need to catch up after a few bad days, but apart from that, sounds like you have done well. What are your plans when the AGM battery dies? Are you going to link it all into the one system? Or are you looking at keeping the 2 separate systems?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Thanks peter , unfortunately there isn't enough room on the roof to mount another solar panel .
The trouble with most camps they are set up for shade loving people , not solar friendly :roll:
As this was just a week away for a on sight test so to speak .

Terry NO I wont be replacing the AGM with another lithium , I cant justify the cost , And another (portable) solar panel would not find any where to live when not in use...that's why the portable is on the car..I have around 10 feet of cable for the one on the car .
And I think at this time I will run separate systems as now , ( If it aint broke) :D :D
Thanks .
Bernie .
dapope

Post by dapope »

I bought a 200w solar blanket.came with all the stuff. Supposedly 11amps and not suitable for lithium, but seems to be doing the job ok. Easy to store when not in use. Currently on the van awning....plugged to the 90ah which is in the van. The 40 ah is full. Thanks rydgerider.
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..