MrandMrsK's latest

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
bobk

MrandMrsK's latest

Post by bobk »

Well we are back in the game! Following the disappointment of not finishing the Hino and the folly of buying the Freedom, about 6 weeks go we found a 2008 Supreme Executive 18 foot 6 full height van. It was in a yard, and one of many that we inspected following the departure of the Freedom. It is very well presented with front central queen sized bed, L shaped seating, combo facilities, (nearly) enough storage space and adequate for the task unless we come into a fortune and can get something different (bigger) with a tow vehicle to match. (Having in the past owned a 25 footer with slide-out spoiled us). We still have the Holden Adventra, which you may recall gave us some grief on our trip to Townsville, but we have completed some suspension repair and modification and it's a keeper. We have done shakedown trips to Port Hughes and to Waikerie, both without problems, although at Waikerie the temperature was near zero overnight and when Mrs K got her clothes out of the front overhead locker, she found they were quite damp. Inspection discovered condensation running down the rear panel of the cupboard at the (external) roof/front wall transition roll level. We operated a heater in the van so I guess the condensation was inevitable if there is no insulation at that point. Interestingly, we had not had the van parked up two minutes, when a couple approached us and advised us that they were the previous owners and had traded the van only a few weeks previously, and were in the park in their new van! A real coincidence! They were able to give us a bit of the history of the van and told us that they had had a water leak near the front window, which had been successfully repaired and no further leakage ensued. That repair was at the roof/front wall seam. I then wondered if the during that repair, the insulation (if any) had been removed to facilitate the repair. Don't know the answers, although ours was definitely not a rain leak as there was no rain, and shining a light across the surface of the ply illuminated misting and droplets such as on the outside of a glass of very cold liquid. I am still fiddling with minor things like hose stowage and such, and whether to buy a caravan cover (the van sits in the open). We are looking forward to getting out and about, maybe we will see you soon, Covid permitting.
bobk
Bob and Lyn aka Mr & Mrs K.
Dot

Re: MrandMrsK's latest

Post by Dot »

Nice to hear about your latest adventure. Just need the stupid people to do the right thing so we can all get back to some sort of "normality". Catch up soon. x
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

So...

1. A good decision to buy it in the first place. Image

2. A gooderer decision to do that little trip, & Image

3. An even betterer decision to stop at the locality you did. Image

Who do you know that we don't - huh?? Image

All the best with xxx for Lyn & a big hug for you mate.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
bobk

Post by bobk »

You do know son's a pastor, right? Nah, it's not him, it's just life taking its inevitable twists and turns. We have been pretty lucky here wrt covid, and provided we keep our senses and obey the rules we will be ok. So far most of our cases seem to be arriving from across the border(s). The caravan park as you would expect is not seeing much transit traffic and is fortunate to have us permanents. Anyway, stay safe everyone and thanks for your good wishes.
bobk
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Congratulations on the latest purchase. Is it the ply in the back of the overhead cupboard that is getting wet, or is the back of the cupboard straight onto the aluminium? A layer of the Air-shield Retro-shield https://www.kingspan.com/esea/en-ph/pro ... etroshield will stop the moisture reaching the cold outer skin and stop the condensation raining down. Another item that will help is the absorption tubs available from Bunnings etc. The replacement absorption flakes are available in bulk, just tear the paper cover off the tub, empty the water and refill with the flakes. These are great for eliminating moister and mould from cupboards and clothes https://www.bunnings.com.au/damprid-300 ... r_p4470041

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

As of today, in Victoria you'll have to shop online with Bunnings, using their click-&-collect system. :?
Just want to keep you up-to-date...
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

Moo 👍
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:49 pm As of today, in Victoria you'll have to shop online with Bunnings, using their click-&-collect system. :?
Just want to keep you up-to-date...
Can you get the "Contactless delivery" where I suppose they just throw it off the truck as they drive past :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

So long as your car door is open.
Window is too small a target.
😁
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
bobk

Post by bobk »

Good evening all. Thank you all for comments and advice T1. After much puzzling and looking at the problem from every different direction, I made a decision. Years ago I had an HQ Holden panel van into which I installed four seats for the kids. They complained about the heat from the (bare) roof so I purchased a sheet of styrene foam and with some judicious cutting and tongue chewing I managed to install it in the ceiling in one piece and due to the concave curve of the roof it sat stressed against the surrounding structure without needing to be secured. So, I have managed to achieve the same result in the cupboards. I now have flat styrene sheet against the flat ply of the back wall and ceiling of the cupboards, which will preclude the moist air inside the van from contacting the cold ply. Acts like a frosty drink container in a stubby cooler. duh! And I didn't have to secure it, the styrene just sits stressed against the confines of the top of the cupboard. Long rambling story I know. Sorry! But I like what I have done! :lol:
bobk