A new addition to the family

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: A new addition to the family

Post by T1 Terry »

Grandad wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:15 am Do we have any photos of this project yet Terry???

Jim
I forgot about that, I'll get Margaret to take some so they don't end up blurred from my shaking :roll: Bought a fig tree to plant in the cat house yesterday. Give him something to climb on and a fifty/fifty chance we'll get some figs before the birds eat them, that was the problem back at Lake Illawarra. tried everything, plastic snakes on the branches, bird netting. The birds loved the netting, they'd get in at ground level and feed away in peace because the cat couldn't get them nor could we :twisted:

More extensions planned, the swallows are back nesting in the carport and the sparrows up under the window shade blinds across the bedroom window. They wake Margaret with the tapping on the glass or the babies continuous cry to be fed.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Brucie2 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:16 pm I wouldn't recommend a cat door unless you want mice, birds & snakes/lizards inside!!! :evil: :twisted:
Terry has everything under control with outdoor conveniences! :lol: 8-)
We have a Doggie Door. (Magnetic catches to prevent small animal incursions.)
No problems with other wildlife.
Only one problem ever:
Neighbour’s daughter moved back with Mum & Dad (temporarily) with dog.
Dog came to visit ours, & invited himself into the house via said door.
Much apologies from daughter, and no further visits. She was a lovely girl, and we were sad when she left for a new job. Dog was friendly too, once we met him on his territory.
His visit was the subject of much mirth in our short friendship.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

Pet doors also come with an auto open n shut door operated by the animals collar. Never had any mice, snakes or any other uninvited creatures come in, well maybe a rat or two ;) ;) and a bush pig once :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Simple, just get rid of the cat/cats.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

I agree with George :lol: running for cover now, certainly not a fan of cats, give me a dog any day, :D guess we all have our likes & dislikes.
Shirley & Bruce.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Cats can be nice pets but they have, along with foxes, decimated Australia's wildlife. :cry:

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Brucie2 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:53 am OK, I'll clarify ....
Cats have a habit of bringing their catches home to 'show them off' & end up just letting them go.
Every day one of our cats brings home skinks that it catches. Never hurts them at all. Gently picks them up & carries them to the door.
After making the mistake of just opening the door before checking I learnt to check first.
Now I gently pat her & retrieve the lizard & take it back to the rocks.
Easier than having to remove the fridge, dishwasher or stove to find it!!!
Years ago when I was a wee fella my father built a mouse proof barn. It had legs with guards on to stop vermin climbing up. It had a landing outside the door but the cats would catch a mouse & jump up, play with their catch & then sometimes it would escape & let the mouse in the barn.
We had one cat used to kill brown snakes and bring them back to our front door.
Nope, I don't want a cat door!!
Friends I worked for adopted a stray cat and it brought them a gift every morning .... of a snake. Dropped at the back door, still very much alive. The cat would wait there with the snake until the wife came to the back door, drop it at her feet and then head inside. Brown snakes, red belly black snakes, those crazy copper scaled ones that made their scales shimmer in waves just before they struck out, and even an Illawarra death adder. The wife would pick them up with the kitchen tongs and put them into a glass tank adapted for reptiles from a fish tank.
When she mentioned about the snake with the shimmering scales I mentioned they have a strike speed faster than you can refocus and the shimmering was a distraction for its prey .... that one went into a bottle of metho ...... then she mentioned about the funny short fat snakes with a tiny tail that it wiggled in the air .... a death adder ..... it hides in leaf litter with the tail showing through the leaves as an attraction for birds and small animals .... a few minute people killer and will actually chase humans. They do keep the feral cat population down how ever and this cat appeared to be no exception because it didn't return a few days later, must have found a bigger death adder and was not quite so lucky.
When I asked how many snakes she had she said the number seemed to vary and she was worried some were getting out :lol: More likely they were now in a larger snakes belly ..... They all ended up a jars of metho ......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Newcastle George wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:09 am Cats can be nice pets but they have, along with foxes, decimated Australia's wildlife. :cry:

George
So have greedy fools with chainsaws or bull dozers as well as idiots going "sports" shooting in the bush. I don't agree with cats having an open door policy to head outside and catch what ever they liked, but I also believe dogs should remain behind fences if not on a control lead after loosing 2 goats, 15 breeding rabbits and 3 sheep after various attacks of "pet" dog packs.
Children left to roam the streets at night can also be a menace, those responsible for their critters need to take better control over their "pets" whether it be a cat, dog or human kid .....
We have a dead fox rotting away down by the river, Margaret remembers a pair of young foxes bounding around/across the front lawn doing a check out of the neighbourhood ... probably one of the pair and a snake is the most likely killer.

T1 Terry
Dot

Post by Dot »

Sorry George but it is the human species that has enabled cats to go feral and hunt for survival. Have a look at what and who is doing far far more killing of all wildlife esp in WA. The indiscriminate tossing about of 1080 I agree that ALL cat owners should keep their cats contained on their own property.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I was talking to a farmer mate of mine the other day. He has spent a fair bit of time and effort keeping down his rabbit and fox numbers. He reckons the biggest menace now is feral deer. They have been breeding up in the bush and the dry conditions in the past year or so have pushed them out into the farmland.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.