Caravan weights and safety - do you know all about yours?

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
BernieQ2

Re: Caravan weights and safety - do you know all about yours?

Post by BernieQ2 »

Was only asking as a mate of mine has a car that is down rated in aus but not the rest of the world.
Why??? If as you say the USA can have heavier weights why not here.
Bernie
Motherhen

Post by Motherhen »

That is not unusual Bernie and I cannot give an answer.
Motherhen
http://www.australiasomuchtosee.com
Tips on starting out and setting up, how to find free and low cost camps, trip planning, travelogues and more
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Interesting to see they admit the aim is toward enforcement, training and possibly licencing. I think I would be safe in saying the average retiree who is likely to be the new caravan buyer so now requiring a licence couldn't pass the basic car licence without a refresher course with so many bad habits collected over the yrs and a few who didn't actually do a driving test as such. We have all heard about the country cop who just handed the licence over the counter because they knew the applicant had been driving for yrs already, but does that mean they understood the rules, how to do a 3 point turn safely or a hand brake hill start? I can see there being a period of serious turmoil coming up.

Do I agree with the intended actions and should it include all motorhomes? Definitely. Do we have the infrastructure in place to actually do it? Not a hope, so the govt will need to spend big $$ if they plan to roll out this compliance campaign and actually get govt depts. to work together.... as if that will ever happen :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Reading a 4WD magazine while waiting at the Doctors surgery last week, was intrigued with the stated number of twin cab Utes that suffered bent chassis mainly caused by travelling on corrugated roads, whilst overloaded and/or towing. One of the major contributory factors appeared to be pump up shockies, often called load levellers, which placed point loading on the chassis in an area least able to take it.
Life is a trip, to be enjoyed!
John M
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

If you were reading a magazine in a Doctor's room then surely the information would be years out of date. :lol: :lol: Just kidding! I read the same article somewhere recently.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Hi Steve I think the mag was about 5 years old, but I thought the info was relative
Life is a trip, to be enjoyed!
John M
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

JohnM wrote:Hi Steve I think the mag was about 5 years old, but I thought the info was relative
Sounds about the right publishing time to be in a doctors surgery waiting room so Steve must have been to the same doctor :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

T1 Terry wrote:
JohnM wrote:Hi Steve I think the mag was about 5 years old, but I thought the info was relative
Sounds about the right publishing time to be in a doctors surgery waiting room so Steve must have been to the same doctor :lol:
One can only hope that their medical journals are not so out of date! :shock:
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
nut17

Post by nut17 »

I have read through this thread with interest. It is good to see that there is some interest in this potentially dangerous set of issues. We are really struggling with weights with our current Jayco Silverline Outback 25' and I know without going over a weigh bridge that we will be over the plated limit of 3499kg ATM when we travel with our full 240 lt fresh water on board. My best estimate will be around 3650Kg. Our GCM will be OK as we carry very little in the back of the Jeep - at most 75kg. I do carry ball weight scales and know that I have 320Kg on the ball.
Unbelievably, there is no requirement in NZ for a compliance plate in NZ and our largest manufacturer still produces vans without compliance plates or weigh bridge certificates. I am sure that with the huge surge in the popularity of caravanning in NZ that some more effort will be put in by Government on compliance issues. We do have laws which revolve around keeping within the tug and it's draw bar towing and loading specifications, but without plated van specifications it is a fairly hollow legislation.

Cheers
Chris
2020 Winnebago ILUKA on IVECO Daily 50 C. 1200 w Solar - 400 AH LiFePO4
3000 w inverter. 195 lt compressor fridge NZMCA # 15589
Motherhen

Post by Motherhen »

For overall safety Chris, could you transport heavier items from the caravan in your Jeep? This is the type of thing that was done to allow the people overweight at the inspection day to move on. It is also safer towing having more weight in front that behind.

It may take a few rollovers to change your laws. There have been a number of caravan rollovers reported in Australia, and we probably here of them more readily due to social media. Do they occur in New Zealand too?
Motherhen
http://www.australiasomuchtosee.com
Tips on starting out and setting up, how to find free and low cost camps, trip planning, travelogues and more