North Victoria Gliding WORLD champs

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
bagmaker

North Victoria Gliding WORLD champs

Post by bagmaker »

There is currently a WORLD gliding championships being held at Benalla, Victoria. Many of the coming tasks will be roughly to the north of the township so if your in the area LOOK UP! :lol: And by area I am talking roughly, tasks in the coming days will be many hundreds of kilometers
Todays task is a miserly 186km and average speeds are under 100km/h due to the recently passed cold front.
Go here http://www.livetrack24.com/tasks/3458 for an overveiw and click the top right hand "live tracking" -google earth is a good option.
If you scroll down in google earth and enable the "update full tracks" under "places" then you can see the route each competitor takes.
SteveW

Re: North Victoria Gliding WORLD champs

Post by SteveW »

For about 2 years (2014 2015) I carried a b-double load of glider fuel from Adelaide to Melbourne every Saturday night.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Guess that wouldn't weigh very much...

Sent from my laptop using fingers.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

:D :lol: About the same as the backload of VW radiators? 8-)
BruceS
Mannum, SA

bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

Many of the new ones have little pop-up jets in the back (perhaps Steve carted kero??)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

A bugger to get it out of the trailers, though!
Steve Williams

bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

SteveW wrote:A bugger to get it out of the trailers, though!
you would'nt know it was there, they fold down into the fuselage when not in use. Need a looooooooong runway to self-launch but plenty of power to get home if you have been a bit "ambitious"
JS-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lance

Post by Lance »

Do you actually fly these BMer or are you just an interested spectator.
I've got glider flights, maybe instruction, on my bucket list.
Lance & Annee
Looking for more Music Festival Dates in Victoria 8-)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Will you explain it, Bruce, or will I? :lol: :lol:
Steve Williams

bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

Lance wrote:Do you actually fly these BMer or are you just an interested spectator.
I've got glider flights, maybe instruction, on my bucket list.
I flew for 20 years or so Lance but haven't for the last 5. :( Times changed a lot over that period, notably, its a very difficult "sport" to get a feel for. Your first trial and instruction flights are in the vehicle equivelent of a 12 yard tip truck. Noisy, hard edged, no feel through the controls, slow. There is just no way to indicate to potential pilots what the gig is all about. Enthusiastic fellow club members are the key.
When you finally hit the little ones though (15 -18m wingspan, single seat) everything changes. Imagine someone dropped your favourite armchair in a bathtub, surrounded it in plexyglass and everything needed is at your fingertips. The aircraft soon responds to your thoughts -like any practiced machine- rather than you considering your input into it. Nothing to see 12000 ft in summer, nothing to see 200km/h on the speedo. Cruise about the hills and flats free as a bird. There is a cool drink in the bottle behind you and a catheter on the old fellow for when you have had too much.
I have only done a 300k declared FIA triangle (out of Benalla) but did a 5 hour stint once out of Tocumwal and some cross country stuff in QLD. Last flew out of Lake Keepit, shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-xOZ2luGZA, pretty!
Not a particularly expensive sport (comparitively) but one needs to keep at it annually to enjoy. Kids, work, not a good mix for gliding. Possibly a great mix for grey nomads, airfields have lots of parking and good people hanging about would probably be welcome.
If you are keen a day trip to Benalla for these world comps would be an eye opener, there are some very expensive bits of kit there. I would wait till shortly after easter when the conditions ease a bit and take a joy flight out of Benalla if you were keen, the club there has nice trainers and members.
Bruno Vassal in the USA does some lovely video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuptAQrwZZk

So now, for the moment, just an interested spectator. ;)