Blow out tips

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
Dot

Blow out tips

Post by Dot »

Tips to stop a car when one of the tires explodes when speed exceeds 100 km/h
1. First tip:
When a tyre explodes try to stay as calm as possible and hold the steering wheel firmly with both hands.
2. Second tip:
It's the most important keep your foot off the brakes and don't push it at all. Don’t even look at the brake pedal, don’t even think about it.
3. Third tip:
Stay on your path and try not to change it or get out of anyone’s way, stay on a path as straight as possible.
4. Fourth tip:
If your car has a manual transmission, gradually change to a lower BUT ONLY do so if you feel that the car is completely under control.
If your car has an automatic transmission, stay in the Drive (D) gear DO NOT change.
5. Fifth tip:
Don't use brakes, the drag from the exploded tire will slow you down.
6. Sixth advice:
When speed drops to 50 km/h, you can gently press the brakes until the car stops
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Re: Blow out tips

Post by Greynomad »

PS. If it’s a front tyre, once you get down to about 50km/h you can GENTLY use the handbrake, but keep your thumb on the release button so you don’t lock up the wheels.
DON’T do this for a rear blowout.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Somehow, I was expecting a different set of tips. :roll:
Dot

Post by Dot »

jon_d wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:10 pm Somehow, I was expecting a different set of tips. :roll:
Grease nipples ??
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:23 pm
jon_d wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:10 pm Somehow, I was expecting a different set of tips. :roll:
Grease(d) nipples ??
No mention about changing underwear and calming the co driver while wrestling with a very angry steering wheel .... oh, and the tip about remaining on a straight path only works if there is nothing in the way, like a truck or the road continuing on around the bend you just started to turn .....

Just as a side note, it takes more than a km to actually stop a Mazda 3500 motorhome when it looses the left hand steer tyre at over 100km/h, so good idea to keep your eye on where you are going and look for a spot to land the wild beast once you tame it ;)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
dapope

Post by dapope »

I lost both steers tyres on the swagman one day. Not at the same time. Passengerside I pulled.ed up as it was feeling strange, and the tread was a.most all off. Two hours of travel .after and the driver side let go. The skid mark crossed the centre line, but there were no ore trains coming g thank, goodness. Took close to a km to stop...
No second spare, so took a wheel off the rear dual, then we limped to Hedland.
45 deg day, I worked up a sweat.
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

dapope wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:50 pm I lost both steers tyres on the swagman one day. Not at the same time. ... 45 deg day, I worked up a sweat.
Was it because of the outside temperature or the nervous excitement? :? :shock:

Our only (front) blowout came at 30km/h on a corner... fortunately it was the inside front on a left turn: picked up a piece of broken tree root in the sidewall. SWMBO was driving. Textbook pull-up: no brakes, down through the gears. Driving instructor of many moons previous had taught her well...
Had a few pops on the rear duals over the years. Not nearly as sphincter-tightening!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Easy peasy...I had a front tyre go at speed on a motorbike... not much time to sweat
Put a dint in my pride...at the time.
Was more worried about other traffic... and me being under them.
Broke left hand clutch lever mirror and that stuff on my leg that keeps the blood in😁
Bernie.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Easy peasy...I had a front tyre go at speed on a motorbike... not much time to sweat
Which side Bernie?
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

We both ended up on the left.. hence the clutch lever. I was slightly behind the bike... when the dust settled🤔
Twas back in the 70's
Bernie.
Could show you the scar...but don't know you well enough 😁😁